We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

We are a family of four (two adults, two teenagers) coming to London in July for the first time. Is it crazy to rent a flat near Sloan Square (Draycott Pace) when one of us will need to commute to the Millennium Bridge area daily for business responsibilities? While the family hopes to see the major sites during the day, we like to return to a real neighborhood (safe, charming with restaurants, markets, etc.) at night. The tube commute from S. S. to Blackfriars looks relatively straight forward, but locals would know best. If not Sloane Square, where? Many thanks for your help.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,176 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

Sloane Square is fine, Blackfriars isn't though. Blackfriars station is closed for major reconstruction for the next year. However, if the other half is heading for Millenium Bridge, just take the District or Circle Line to Mansion House and it's a short walk from there.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

A no 11 bus from Sloane Square will take you (almost ) there

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

A bus from SS to Blackfriars in the rush hour will take for ever !

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

Just to clarify, it is only Blackfriars tube station that is closed. The National Rail station is open, but that will not help you if you are coming from Sloane Square. As the Millenium Bridge is approximately half way between Blackfriars and Mansion House stations, it would be better to take the tube from Sloane Square to Mansion House, as others have said. This is only 7 stops and shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so. However, like anywhere in the world the tube will be busy at rush hours.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

Since I will be commuting at rush hour, perhaps we should consider staying in another neighborhood. Can anyone recommend a nice area for flat rental, one that is convenient to the Millennium Bridge area but also attractive, safe, and not crawling with tourists? Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick

There's nothing wrong with where you are planning to stay if one person is working in that area - Blackfriars underground station is closed regardless of where you stay, but it doesn't matter as Mansion House really isn't very far to walk. And a bus from anywhere to Blackfriars is going to take an age in rush hour. No problem - take the underground

St.Paul's tube station is also going to be fairly close if it matters

Rent the flat you want, and one of you is going to have a 30 minute journey each way to and from work. That's quite normal, in fact even quick by London standards. Even if you searched for weeks you'd struggle to find something that would cut that significantly, say to 15 minutes journey or less, so I suggest staying where seems right to stay and dealing with the journey - you won't find it a problem

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

I think your original choice of Sloane Square is fine.

Whilst you could choose another area of London, if you are commuting at rush hour every bus or rail route will be busy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

A commute from Sloane Square to Mansion House/Temple/Blackfriars is much shorter than what the majority of Londoners do daily. At most, it will be 30 mins.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 12:56
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

As Nick says, you will have a commute of tube, short walk. When I was working in that area, I had bus, train, tube, long walk which is probably what most people working around there have.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 20:48
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sloane Square to Blackfriars?

Sloane Square is an easy commute and a much nicer place for leisure than Blackfriars, if you can afford it.