We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
626 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

im landing at heathrow airport on March 17 morning 5.25am with my husband. 1st time in london.

Basically our iteniary is from heathrow go straight to kings cross where we have booked a b&b.

Whole of 17 & 18 would be spend on sight-seeing.

On 19th we are watching a spurs vs west ham match and rest of the day sight-seeing again.

On 20th we will be going to spurs stadium again for a stadium tour and sight seeing rest of the day.

On 21st we will need to go to stanstead airport to catch a flight to amsterdam at 6 in the evening.

What i would like to know is i heard abt all the different cards to be used to travel. We would like to take train/tube or buses to all places if can especially buses where we can see the sights.

Being in london for only 4 days, please advise which is the best card to buy and how to buy it and if buying it online is better or when we reach there? im so confused with all the technicalities in these cards

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
626 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

oh and what is the london pass i heard you can get that to travel around alos? oh my god another card to be more confused!!! psl help

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

Do you want to use the offers that are shown at www.daysoutguide.co.uk?

If not, you can ignore all other options, and just get an Oyster card each with some "pay as you go" cash loaded. You can get those at the tube station at Heathrow. I suggest you load £20 onto each card. If you have any credit left at the end of your stay, you can can get it refunded.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

MAHA,

I see lots of posts from you on your trip (well done getting the Spurs tickets by the way).

My recommendation is

a) Do NOT get the London Pass. Use the 2-4-1 offers instead. They are better value for money.

b) Get a 7-Day travelcard. You are actually IN London for 5 days - 17-21 inclusive. A 7-Day card works out cheaper than five 1-Day cards. Note also that you are traveling out to zone 3 on at least two days, for the match and again for the stadium tour.

If you and your husband plan to visit ANY - that means even only one - of the attractions under the 2-4-1 promotion shown at www.daysoutguide.co.uk, then here's what I recommend (and I'll explain at the bottom) -

1) Do not worry about Oyster.

2) At Heathrow Underground station, buy single cash tube tickets for your journey to Kings Cross-St. Pancras on the Piccadilly Line. These will cost £5.00 each. Take the Piccadilly line to KX-StP.

3) When you arrive at KX-StP, make your way to the National Rail ticket office of either Kings Cross or St Pancras stations. That is the ticket office on the main station concourse, and NOT the tube station.

4) Purchase 7-Day Zone 1-3 Travelcards from the NR ticket office. These will cost you £32.20 each. You will be able to use these travelcards for your entire stay in central London and out to Spurs, and they will give you and husband 50% off entry into the attractions covered by 2-4-1.

Note that you must have National Rail Travelcards for the 2-4-1 offers. They must be on orange and cream paper like this -

…wikimedia.org/wiki/File:London-underground-…

The total cost of travel will (each) will be £37.20.

The reason I do not suggest using Oyster is because -

1) In your case it's easier to have a paper travelcard than to worry about Oyster, the deposit, how to load the card, where to return the card, etc.

2) You are arriving at Heathrow at 5.25am. This means you will be on the tube well before 9.30am. The cash fare is £5.00, but the Oyster fare at that time will be £4.50, saving you only 50p (hardly worth it).

3) If you choose any attraction covered by the 2-4-1 offers (even only one) you will save money over using Oyster.

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
626 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

yup we are lucky to have got the tix for the match.....

USbusinesstraveller > does that mean the 7 day travelcard is cheaper than the oyster card? can the 7 day travelcard be used for our journey from kings cross to stanstead airport also?

why i am asking is becaue i heard that for oyster card you need to put a deposit of 5 pounds and top up abt 20 pounds into it as said by GreenwichNick which comes up to 25 pounds each of us. so total 50 pounds.

The 7 day travelcard you said is 32.30 and including from heathrow to kings cross its 5 more pounds which make it 37.20 each of us so total 64.40 pounds.

does this make the oyster card cheaper than the 7 day travel card or am i wrong?

and as for the 2-4-1 it is a totally different card right? is it only used for visiting attractions/sights or also for travel in tube/train/bus? where do i purchase this 2-4-1 and what places could i use it yet

so if i decide to get the 7 day travelcard i also must get the 2-4-1 card right? or is it either one?

so sorry for so many questions

Edited: 10 February 2011, 07:44
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

I'm sure I answered this very question yesterday

For a short stay arriving at LHR DO buy an Oystercard and load it with £20-25 cash for PAYG.

Use it for getting into London, travelling around London and getting to Tottenham Hale to catch the Stansted Express to Stansted. The most you will pay each day is the same as the equivalent 1 day Travelcard.

IF you want to use the offers on Dayoutguide.com then on the day you want to use them leave the Oystercard at the hotel, walk to Kings Cross or St Pancras and buy a 1 day Travelcard. This will cover you for all travel that day AND give you the eligibility you need for the offers.

Note this advice only applies if arriving / leaving LHR and are staying less than 5 days.

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
626 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

so the 20-25 pounds i put in the oyster card will cover all my 5 dasy from march 17-21?

as for the offers on daysoutguide.com, you mean if i use these offers i do not use the oyster card? Could you explain why is this so? what exactly are these offers on daysoutguide?

So in your opinion getting a oyster card is better/cheaper than a 7 day travelcard as suggested by USBusinesstraveller fro my stay in london?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

Maha,

I will send a personal message with a fuller explanation.

The main point is that you arrive early on 17th and leave afternoon of 21st. So that's 4 nights, but 5 days in London, and the 7 day card works out cheaper at 5 days.

But yes. I'm on, guess what, (US) business travel and I sat down in my hotel room and ran about 5 different scenarios - including Oyster PAYG - and concluded that the paper travelcards and cash fare will work out cheaper.

Btw, it's 74.40 for both of you (not 64.40).

In the meantime, visit the 2-4-1 site and look at the attractions covered, and register and download the coupons. The attractions include the Tower of London, St. Pauls Cathedral, London Eye, Churchill War Rooms (where the government ran the country during WW2), Madame Tussauds. You can also get 2-4-1 for some restaurants and shows. With 2-4-1 you can get a large part of that 74.40 back!

www.daysoutguide.co.uk

Edited: 10 February 2011, 08:00
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

> so the 20-25 pounds i put in the oyster card will cover all my 5 dasy from march 17-21? <

It is "pay as you go" - you load £20 onto the card, and the credit gets used as you make journeys on tube, trains and buses. So, how much it costs depends on how much you use it, but there is a daily "cap" (how much that is depends on which zones you use it in).

> what exactly are these offers on daysoutguide? <

www.daysoutguide.co.uk

The offers are sponsored by the train operating companies, so you have to have a ticket bought from one of them, not from a tube station.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

Maha,

I've just sent you a (long) personal message with my calculations.

Alan/Nick,

Forgive me for being a complete anorak on this. I'm back on "USBusinessTravels" and spent my evening in the hotel room with pen/paper and the TFL fares pages pouring over this. :)

The point is that Maha and hubby are actually spending 5 days in London, so 7-day cards kick in. They're also doing a lot of venturing into zone 3 (£7.30 land) for a couple of days to go to White Hart Lane. So my pouring over this (and a couple of glasses of wine) leads me to the conclusion that NR paper cards plus cash for LHR-KX, works out cheaper than Oyster. Plus they can get added savings with 2-4-1. It's also simpler, as they won't have to worry about topping up, loading 7-dayers onto Oyster, returning the card for the refund, etc.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster card, Travelcard, 2-4-1 card or any other cards??

It seems like this may be the most difficult and confusing question that people need to learn about for London. Heck, it's easier to get from here to there.

Anyway, are there websites that might explain the options? My head keeps blowing up every time I think about this, and it seems like all the explanations just confuse me more. I am sure it is me.

Many thanks