We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public / school holidays at easter

Perth
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Public / school holidays at easter

We are travelling to London on Easter Sunday 24th and staying for 4 days. I just wondered if there were any public or school holidays over that time and what impact they may have on attractions, shopping etc

Thanks for any info - GC

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

Yes, English kids will be off for Easter holidays. It will be busy

Shops and attractions will all be open though.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 07:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

The public holidays in England for Easter are Good Friday April 22nd, and Easter Monday April 25th.

Bear in mind also that there will be two public holidays the following weekend, the Royal Wedding on April 29th and May Day on May 2nd.

In London, the dates of the school holidays for Easter depend on each individual borough. See

westminster.gov.uk/services/… for details in Westminster.

The school holidays may mean that certain attractions, such as the museums in South Kensington, wil lbe a little busier than during term time,

Most tourist attractions will be open, as will most of the larger shops. Public transport usually runs to a Saturday timetable on Good Friday, and a Sunday timetable on Easter Monday, but do check for engineering works on the railways and the tube.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 07:54
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

Large shops will NOT be open on Easter Sunday.

As for school holidays, many schools will have had the 2 weeks "Easter break" at the start of April as part of the move towards fixed length terms, they will however still get the 2 public holidays at Easter

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

The majority of schools are not taking early April holidays - at least not in England. Most will have at least one week before easter and will not return to school until Tuesday May 3rd.

London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

Easter holiday dates are crazy this year. I have friends in Kensington and Chelsea Borough who's two week break starts 4th April. My own kids and their friends (Ealing and Hounslow boroughs) break up on the 11th. Different schools have extended the break to 3 weeks to include the 3 days between the bank holiday weekends, (which would co-incide with your visit, no such luck for my kids unfortunately).

There is no consistency even within London boroughs.

For the visitor I wouldn't worry too much about this, yes it might be a little busy, but in my experience still not as crowded as during the summer, when most tourists are over.

Perth
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

Thanks everyone. And I thought Australia had mixed up school hols!!!

Would the train from LHR be reliable on Sunday? I also need to make my way from Paddington to Victoria (or The Rubens Hotel) - what would be my best option (not necessarily the cheapest as I am a solo traveller at this stage and would prefer to pay than be 'at risk')?

Would Easter Monday be a suitable day to sight see on the Red Bus Tour?

Then shopping etc on Tuesday?

Your expertise is appreciated - GC

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

Parents I know tell me the majority of state schools are on holiday from 8th to 25th April, with some private schools starting the week before.

Some schools may use their "in-service training" days to add a couple of days on during the period spanned by Easter and Royal Wedding holidays.

8. Re: Public / school holidays at easter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 02:17