We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Taxi

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Taxi

Does anyone know how much approximately a cab would be from the taxi rank at Heathrow to the Sheraton Skyline which is supposed to be 0.9 miles from Heathrow?

Last year we stayed at the Marriot Windsor, and narrowly avoided a scam by 5 Star Windsor Taxis who we had pre booked with, hence why I'm thinking of getting a cab from the taxi rank rather than pre booking like last time.

I know the Hoppa is only £4 pp each way, but can it be that much dearer for such a short trip for two of us?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Taxi

Taxi drivers hate such short journeys so may try to get out of the job or bump up the charge. The actual figure would depend on which terminal you are using. T1 & T3 are close so it will be less but it wouldn't surprise me if they charged £15 or more from T4 or T5.

If you are flying into T1 or T3 then you could walk to the central bus station and catch a free bus to almost right outside the hotel - londontoolkit.com/lhr/sheraton_skyline_lhr.h…

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Taxi

I beg to differ that Taxi Drivers hate short journeys from Heathrow's terminals? When such journeys are required, Taxi drivers can return to the terminal of their choice, without having to go back into the main Taxi Feeder Park & paying the £6.30 per visit charge to BAA. In my experience with cabbies doing short journeys, they say they love it & would do them all day long! Admittedly, it would be cheaper to catch the bus, bus sometimes it not very practical when carrying heavy luggage.

The charge would be somewhere around £10 to £12 from terminals 1 or 3 & around £15 from terminals 4 or 5. All London Taxis (Black Cabs) have meters which cannot be tampered with (whatever other people might tell you), & are regulated & monitored by London Taxi & Private Hire at Transport for London. Mini-cabs, pre-booked or not, pick a figure out of the air.......then generally double it! Hence, I would imagine, your previous experience. All Licensed London Taxis are entitled, by law, to put £2.40 on the extra's on the meter from Heathrow, this is your contribution to the £6.30 parking tax impossed by BAA on ALL Licensed London Taxi's that use the airport.

If ANYONE approaches you in the arrivals halls & say's "TAXI Sir?", KEEP WALKING to the Taxi Rank outside every terminal. It is illegal to tout fpr taxis or minicabs ANYWHERE in Heathrow Airport! If you take such an offer, you will NOT be insured....for anything!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Taxi

Don't want to get into an argument but part of one of my jobs involves taxis and Heathrow hotels and I can assure you that some black cab drivers make up a figure that they think they can get away with. I have had to pay anything between £12 and £20 for exactly the same journey. Some are helpful but others are very grumpy and yes I have known some refuse the job although they are not supposed to.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Taxi

Fair point! As with all jobs, you get some nice guys & some tossers?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Taxi

> Mini-cabs, pre-booked or not, pick a figure out of the air.......then generally double it! <

I am unclear what this means.

1) A mini-cab MUST be pre-booked - anything else is just someone with a car.

2) When you take a mini-cab you agree the price in advance, and know exactly what you will be charged. What does "generally double it" mean?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Taxi

Thanks for the info guys, will bear in mind when deciding.

Would probably stretch to £10 to £12, think £20 is a bit steep!

Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Taxi

My Wife and I had a very upsetting experience when we tried to get a taxi from Terminal 5 ( at the Taxi rank ) back to the carpark near the Ibis Hotel. They not only refused to take us , one of the driver became very aggitated and aggressive with my wife, he followed us back to the airport terminal ranting all sorts of stuff at us. What a welcome back to the United Kingdom. We were both very tired and the last thing we needed was was some wise guy giving us some lip !!!! So thank-you Mr Taxii driver you totally made our day.Call youself PUBLIC SERVICE!!!!!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Taxi

They're obliged to take a fare, and the ones that catch a short journey after waiting in line at the airport are allowed to go to the front of the queue if they return within one hour. This nasty approach shouldn't happen.

Having said that, the right thing to do with any aggressive or rude driver is to note his number (it's clearly displayed inside and on the back of the cab) and let the public carriage office know. There are standards (which the PCO maintain) and they include being courteous. Sadly, other than letting off steam, posting here won't achieve very much.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Taxi

In fact, after checking with a cabbie friend of mine, he says that it's an offence for a driver to be rude or aggressive and that the driver can and should be sanctioned by the PCO. If you can't get his personal badge number then the cab number is enough for them to persue it. It's taken very seriously.

Hawick
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Taxi

I arrived back from Canada and tried to get a taxi from the rank at Heathrow airport to an airport hotel at nearby Kingston-on-Thames. The driver asked how he would be paid, and I told him I would pay cash but if the meter went much over £40 would maybe need to stop at a cash machine for more money. He said the trip would cost £55 to £60 and I needed to go back to the terminal and use a cash machine before looking for a taxi. Obviously he didn't want to make this journey. I travelled by bus instead and it only cost £2.20.

Edited: 16 January 2012, 12:43