We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Summerville SC
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

I have seen (on TV) and read where Americans aren't to highly respected. That they are cocky and rude.

Would leaving a bag of Herseys kisses at the front disk for Hotel employees be offensive?

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

I used to use Hershey's kisses to bribe elementary school kids to behave when I was substitute teaching. They didn't get them till the very last minute of the day IF and only if they had been really good all day. Sometimes it worked. And if it didn't I had a whole bag of Hershey's for myself....and I deserved every one of them.

Don't know what a hotel staff would think at that gesture, but surely it couldn't hurt, although money would probably go over better.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

"Aren't highly respected; cocky and rude"? Does this pertain to Americans visiting the UK or anywhere outside the US?

Anyway, one big don't would be NOT to stand in the middle of a sidewalk looking at your map. Either duck into a doorway or plan your route before you leave your hotel.

Also, be polite.

London
Level Contributor
816 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

I think giving British or European people Hersheys kisses would offend them, as they'd wonder why you'd given them blobs of some odd substance that looks like chocolate but tastes of sick! (Just my opinion of Hersheys chocolate - bleugh!) :-)

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

Zappomatic, I can't believe you don't like Hershey's. But then I've never met a chocolate I didn't like. You are more discernng, I'm sure.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

Zappomatic: I have to agree! Whenever I return from the UK, Hershey's tastes disgusting. Blah!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

Zappomatic: But just imagine the face of a Parisian desk clerk when confronted with a bag of Hershey's. I'd have my camera aimed for a priceless expression.

London
Level Contributor
816 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

I've found most people here in Britain remark that there is a strange flavour to Hersheys, sort of artificial at first and then an aftertaste of vomit. Odd stuff, for sure!

Summerville SC
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

I was using Herseys kisses just for an example. My mom is famous for baking cakes or making a basket of goodies for people that have been kind to her or very helpful.

London, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

Whistlingdixie, it must be because you're used to them that you can't appreciate how truely revolting Hershey's chocolate is! How I used to long for Cadbury's when I was living in DC, so much so that my friend used to send me emergency packages of Cadbury's!

Anyway, one thing Americans should NEVER do whilst abroad is say "Geez,they don't do it like this back at home"!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,850 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are some do's and don'ts for US Americans.

I can't see anyone taking offense at leaving chocolates for the hotel staff but try to make sure that all the staff (not just the front of house ones) get to pick.

By the way, London is such a melting pot of people, races and languages that stereotypes have pretty much gone out of the window except maybe in comedy routines. People from anywhere can be rude. Just smile and be yourself - Manners cost nothing as someone once said.