We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

Found at GoldenTours I can pay 37.4 British Pound (minus 15% of for londonpass holder) for transportation by coach to hampton court and windsor. it will be approximately 8 hours for tour (excludes ticket).

If I do it on my own, how much will I be saving?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

Silva, I've just posted on your other thread that it isn't viable/practical to do both in one day; the transport (train) requires that you go (almost) back to central London and out again. You're looking at 2 hours once waiting for trains is included.

37-38GBP is a lot, but the only practical alternative would be a taxi (if you can find one at HC or WC) and that will likely be in the 50 pound range, just to get between the two.

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

found globetrips.com which offers windsor castle and hampton court palace , leaves at 10:30 A.M, back in london at 6 :30 P.M for 33 British Pounds.

I have a 3 day London pass. I figured if I do both Hampton and Windsor Castle in one day , I would have two full days in London to use the pass

On the other hand, I could do the sight seeing early in the A.M in London, then go to Windsor in the afternoon. The next day, I could do some early sight seeing and then to Hampton Court in the afternoon. Then the 3rd day, just do all sight seeing in central london.

You think this would work out better than hampton and windsor in one day?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

>>> You think this would work out better than hampton and windsor in one day?

Yes! If the coach is making a 10.30am start you won't have much time at either place. Also, it will work out much cheaper to take the train to both attractions. You can also make a much earlier start and be at both Windsor and Hampton Court in time for opening.

If you'll have an Oyster card, you can use that for HC (which is in zone 6). For Windsor, you can get there by train from Waterloo or Paddington (1 change). Even with the change, the Paddington service is quicker.

For train times and fares, use the journey planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 03:42
California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

Thanks very much for a wealth of information. I won't be leaving for London till next Month.

Plan is to go to Windsor on Saturday, March 26th in the afternoon and then Hampton Court on Monday afternoon. The london pass allows me to skip the queue.

Sunday will be a full day in central london for attractions.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

SilCa,

You're welcome. And perhaps you could return the favor as follows. After your trip, how about posting a review of your experience using the London Pass?

The LP gets quite a bit of negative publicity on here. It's viewed as costing a lot up front, and the user may struggle to visit enough attractions to cover its cost, let alone save money. Also, the 2-4-1 offers sound more attractive for couples as they get 50% savings as they go (though you have to join the standard line for tickets). Btw, as you keep mentioning "I" it sounds like you may be traveling alone and so wouldn't benefit from 2-4-1 anyway.

So, when you get back, I for one would be interested in a review of your experience. Did you cover the cost, and if so was is comfortably? Which places did you visit that were covered by LP (and also which that were not)? Were there advantages; you mention jumping queues, so how long were they and did you save time? What transport "card" did you use (Oyster, paper Tcard) and where did you get it? Would you use it again, in what circumstance and why? Please be honest, it would be a great help to get a balanced review.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 04:57
California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

I certainly will report back on the London Pass. I never checked the reviews on the London Pass on tripadvisors. I will be traveling alone for 6 days. Never planned the travel to London (been 2 times already) but there was a deal for $420 RT from LAX to LHR on British Airways. I couldn't pass up.

Will be having lots of fish and chips and going to the theatres.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

$420 return from Los Angeles. Wow! I wouldn't worry about savings on London Pass when you got that flight deal. Have a great trip.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 05:32
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

Please be advised that service to Hampton Court via train ( Southwest) will be disrupted the weekend of March 25. Part of the service will be instead by bus.

( gotta love those travel route planners ! )

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

Good catch IndyDenise!

Though I've just checked the SWT site and the engineering works only appear to be on the Sunday (27th) and affect the Surbiton area (which includes Hampton Court). If SilCa is visiting HC on the Monday things should be back to normal.

southwesttrains.co.uk/2011March.aspx#77347

First Great Western (the Paddington to Windsor operator) only publishes its engineering works a month out, so March 26/27 isn't yet listed, but I assume will be next week. The journey planner isn't showing any disruptions though.

www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx…

Finally, the planned tube closures for that weekend don't look as though they'll affect your sightseeing.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…track-closures.pdf

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much for Hampton Court and Windsor on own? train, tube

I will be travelling to London in July. I did purchase a 3 day London pass on sale over the internet. I drafted out my itinerary for London and will use the pass for 2 days in London and 1 day at Windsor castle/afternoon tea discount at Kensington. I will save about 50+GBP over the 3 days. I will also go to Hampton Court, but will buy a travel card for that day and take advantage of the 2 for 1 offers. I would suggest that you draft an itinerary and see if the London Pass is worthwhile for what you want to see. That's what I did and it was worth it for me. I purchased a 3 day pass online for 63GBP and my itinerary would cost me 115GBP without the pass. I did not opt for the travel option as I will be using a 7-day travel card which I will load on an Oyster card as well as 1 day paper travel cards to take advantage of 2 for 1 offers wherever possible. I will also be in Paris for 10 days. I found the Paris pass there was not worth the price for what I wanted to do, but the museum and monument pass was worthwhile. I hope this is helpful.