We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

The idea for this thread just struck me this morning!

One of my colleagues at work and I (we're at diff locations but great mates) chat quite a bit online. He's an American living in NC. I'm not American. Anyway over the last few months, he's so used to chatting with me that even to others, subconsciously he's started using words like "mum", "fortnight" and started spelling "colour".

So I was wondering if any you TALF-Americans have changed or introduced new words and don't even realise when talking. And then go "hey, THAT's not American! that's so not me!".

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

Vikram: I am so tempted sometimes to incorporate many British expressions in my everyday vocabulary but then I don't want my friends and co-workers rolling their eyes at me any more than they do so now.

I say "sorry" a lot when bumping into people. And I would love to use "whilst" but that is so definitely not American that it would be very noticeable.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

As long as you all don't start using the F-word to the extent that you're dumbstruck without it (to quote Lonely Planet), I think you'll all be fine (or should that be y'all).

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

LeeB: I personally find it quite amusing when I hear Americans try to imitate an English accent or English expressions because they look so conscious when trying it. Seeing as my accent is very English (I was raised in a British community in Africa), my TX-bred manager loves it, and always trys some English-ish expression when talking to me. Bless him, but it's cringeworthy listening to him say "cheers" to me.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

Yes, I saw "take away" instead of "take out" and I get weird looks. Same situation when I say "I'm going to the loo", etc.

But even waaay back in the mid 1980's I did things the "British way". As I was accustomed to their spellings since I was ordering magazines from England. -- And I had a spelling test in school. Now I forget what the exact word was but bascially I had incorporated a "u" into it (ex: it was a word like 'color', but I spelled it 'colour'). Needless to say I got it marked wrong on my test. It was the only word I got wrong. So I went up to my teacher and tried explaining the issue -- and how it was the correct spelling - IN ENGLAND... but she wouldn't have any of it. Darn it

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

LOL that was funny! I used to use that "but that's how it's spelt in... " trick at school. They'd give us a hard word, if I got it wrong I'd simply say "but Americans spell it that way", LOL!

A S
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
654 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

I always cringe when people try to change their way of speaking merely for pretentious reasons, whether it is Madonna speaking with an English accent or English youth trying to speak like American rap artists. I think you should speak and write the English of your nation correctly, as it will sound the most natural. The only word I find myself using more, after being in Europe, is "holiday" in place of vacation.

I do admit that I am a Keith Urban fan, lol. He sounds so naturally Southern American, you would never guess he is Australian, and he has some great songs.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

I agree with you, but this wasn't about accent. It was more of expressions or words that are uncommon in the US. About Madonna, I don't think she's that wannabe English. If you want someone who really tries to speak with an English accent, try Kylie Minogue. Exactly where has her "Neighbours"-Charlene accent disappeared off to? ;-)

8. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2006, 11:32
Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

Oh Vikram this is so true - I have found myself inserting "u"'s in words, flinging out words like: tube, cuppa, brekkie, etc. much to my friends dismay. And LeeB - just checked my past posts and I have been typing the word "whilst". Are we going to have to attend Anglophile-Speak Annonymous Meetings? (I also have to admit to having one of the clocks in my house set to London time...am I pathetic or what!)

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Americans - has your vocab, spelling, etc changed after...

I had been in the subconscious habit of picking up British slang before coming here, as I have a couple British friends & have enjoyed British film once in a while. But TA has been the biggest culprit by far.