We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sneaking in a run?

Harlan, Kentucky
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sneaking in a run?

I'll be staying near Kings Cross, and need to fit in a very early run one morning. I just need about 5k. I don't want to transport myself all the way to a park to do laps, if possible, because this is vacatin and time is a premium. =D

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not certain if time of year would impact this at all, but I'll be there mid-October. And I'll probably be running around 5am.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sneaking in a run?

Some info that could be helpful - Kings cross to Canary wharf is 10.4 km...so you can figure out how far you need to go before you turn back.

http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=1329756

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sneaking in a run?

The route in the response above is along the tow path of the Regent's Canal. I've walked it in the daytime, but it is not lighted - don't think I would want to be running it 2 hours before sunrise.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sneaking in a run?

Lol. I know all about trying to "sneak in" runs when I go away, tough addiction isn't it? :D

It'll all be street running as you'll need lights and there aren't many convenient parks anyway (if you do want park running you might run west along Euston Rd to Regent's Park which is very large and has lit roads in it, there aren't really any other options)

I would be tempted to do the following, on which you'll see a bit of history as well as some of London's "early hours" life most never see:

From KX, run east a short way on the south side of Pentonville Rd, and bear right in King's Cross Rd. It's quite easy to find, you're looking for the road that is in the bottom of a "valley". Now run south along King's Cross Rd and carry on into Farringdon Rd. The reason it looks like a valley is because that's what it is - you are on the course of the ancient River Fleet, now buried underground.

Keep going south on Farringdon Rd - you'll go slightly uphill past the mail sorting office at Mount Pleasant, a hive of activity at this time of day, and then drop down again towards Farringdon itself. This is Clerkenwell, a district of light industry, media, design and print companies, and not seen much by many visitors. You're still running along the line of the river here.

Past Farringdon tube station off to your left, which was the original terminus of the first underground railway in 1867 I think, and then you'll see Smithfield market off to your left. This is the last remaining of London's central markets, the others have all moved out to the suburbs, and is where London's butchers come to buy their meat from the wholesalers. Again it will be buzzing at 5am.

Smithfield itself was just outside the old city walls of London and was the site of fairs, public gatherings and, err, executions for centuries. As you keep running down the valley (passing under the bridge of Holborn viaduct) the hill off to your left is the rise up to these old city walls - firstly Newgate, where the infamous prison was, next door to the "Old Bailey" courts which are still there, then Ludgate whose steeper rise is crowned by St Paul's cathedral

Will finish the route later - out of battery, sorry!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sneaking in a run?

Is this route ok. Its VERY short.....Out and back would give Michelle just over th distance (total distance 1.81miles x 2)

http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=1118556

Harlan, Kentucky
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sneaking in a run?

Thanks so much for the replies! pintpot, this sounds like exactly what I had in mind. I mean, if I'm going to hit the pavement, I may as well see SOMETHING along the way, right? I don't mind park running so much at home, but I prefer street anyway. I hope you come back and finish the route, so I can map and print it!

I checked out the run.com one posted, too, as a back up. Thanks for the input. :)

I want to say meh, let London be the day I skip a run.

But but...

The world just isn't the same place without those endorphins! D:

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sneaking in a run?

Karenjme

“Some info that could be helpful - Kings cross to Canary wharf is 10.4 km...so you can figure out how far you need to go before you turn back.”

Just for information,– you do realise that its not possible to do what you have stated – as there is a tunnel under the Angel and no foot path - so you cannot run along the canal unless you can run on water, in the dark tunnel. Access to get to the Regent's Canal is not well sign posted, so you are best to start your run from the Angel. ( A seven minute jog from Kings Cross uphill, the good part is you run down a hill coming back.)

Along this canal and in the summer I occasionally cycle along here with the wife, and share the space with the many joggers, dog walkers etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sneaking in a run?

Back with a bit more battery, but unfortunately still don't have time to fill in the historical gaps

First route is the one I started earlier, returning through the heartland of the British legal system through Temple/Chancery Lane:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4317736

Second route is if you fancy a bit of parklife - up past the new St Pancras station and through Camden to Regent's Park:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4317738

NB If you do fancy a train ride to somewhere nice to run, hop on the northern line from Kings Cross to Hampstead - it only takes about 10 minutes to get up there - and then head for Hampstead Heath. This is a fantastic and vast semi-wild park high up on a hill, lots of gradients for running and fantastic views

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sneaking in a run?

Forgot to say, both of those routes I gave are about 6.5-7km. On the first I wanted to get all the way down to the river, and for the second I wanted a decent length in the park, so couldn't really make them shorter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sneaking in a run?

And anyway, once you've done 5km you may as well do 7, right? ;-)

(PP, aching after running about 12 clicks yesterday evening)

Harlan, Kentucky
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sneaking in a run?

This is perfect. Thanks!