We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westminster Abbey--no tour??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Westminster Abbey--no tour??

I know this is a crazy question but couldn't find an answer thru my searches!

My teens just want to "see" W.A., not really "do a lenghty tour"!! Can you just go in and look around for 30 min and leave or do you have to do a tour?

Next time I'll come to London alone to really "SEE" everything!! :)

Thanks for the help!

Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

I'd like to know the answer to this also. My teen's eyes glaze over at the prospect of a historic tour!

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

The Abbey website gives all the information you need.

www.westminster-abbey.org

Hpwever it would be an expensive 30 minutes so maybe just look at the outside with the teens and do the inside when no teens!

Gibel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

Yes, you can just go in without doing a tour, but the line up could be quite lengthy.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

The admission price to Westminster Abbey includes an audio tour, so you are free to go through the Abbey at your own pace. There are verger led tours which last 90 minutes and are an additional charge. My teenaged daughter and I have visited the Abbey many times and have always found the audio tour to be just fine. You control your pace, and can spend time in the areas of most interest. You do not need a guided tour to appreciate the Abbey. The gift shop there is a good one for souvenir items as well.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

Thanks for all the help! A self guided tour would probably work, although expensive if we only stay 30 min....I agree!! I have a feeling that once they see it "in person"; they will be in awe and really want to stay longer!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

"I have a feeling that once they see it "in person"; they will be in awe and really want to stay longer!"

Nope, that isn't going to happen! Just have a look around the outside, and then go to the Texas Embassy instead.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

I assume the Texas Embassy referred to in the previous post is the restaurant located near Trafalgar Square. The food there is adequate at best for people who regularly have access to Tex-Mex in Texas. Maybe stop in here for a beverage or snack if you feel you must see the London interpretation of Tex-Mex or if you or the kids feel you absolutely must spend time (and lots more money) eating Mexican food in London. Personally, I would go for a good experience with fish and chips.

No one on this forum knows your kids and their tolerance for sightseeing, but I think they would be shortchanging themselves by not going into the Abbey. They might not be in awe, but there is no place in Texas that they will see the things they can in the Abbey. It is impressive and, if budget permits, it is well worth the time and money.

Have you considered going to Windsor to visit Windsor Castle? It is an easy train ride, it's a great castle (looks just like they do in the books), and is a great experience. The kids might like to see a real castle.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
512 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

If your teens say they want to see it but don't want a historical tour, that's a pretty reasonable request from a teen. Take them inside and let them look. It's magnificent and will have an impact on them even if they don't know any of the history connected with it. And if there's something they want to know more about they will have the audio guide.

California
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

for the self guide tour of the Abbey, how long should it take?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Westminster Abbey--no tour??

This might sound harsh but isn't this *your* holiday as well? Why should you have to miss out on things you want to see because your children might not share your interest?

In the interest of sounding less harsh (and this will depend on how old your teens are and many other things), would it be possible for them to go and see or do something else while you visit the Abbey? Of course this might not be feasible if your children are still quite young and it will depend on what interests them. I'm not sure if you said you had boys or girls but girls may like to spend a couple of hours window (or real) shopping. This would be a win-win situation.

I only say this because I know that life gets busy. So even though you will plan to come back to London alone and do all the things you might miss this time, it could still be a long time away. I still haven't got back, and that's after 7 years.

Hopefully when you get to London and they are immersed in all the history and architecture your teens will be just as interested as you are. Good luck :)