We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

uk
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

Hi

dont know east london atall and would like to visit one weekend to do the jack the Ripper tour and generally have a look around - normally we go to central london for shopping!!

Can anyone suggest where we might stay - nothing too expensive - and any real old London pubs/places to eat/museums etc

Thanks very much for any info ! x

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Fun London Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,978 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

Please could you let us know what you mean by nothing too expensive. If you mean Travelodge style budget accommodation then there are a couple of Travelodges, a Premier Inn or two and an Ibis all within a ten minute walk of Tower Hill tube from where the majority of ripper walks commence.

At weekends some of the much nicer business hotels in the area such the Apex and the new Mint could well have some deals that would be worth going for. The Chamberlain, a Fullers pub/hotel is another to consider.

Madison, Mississippi
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

My wife and I were in London last january and did "The Jack the Ripper Walk" through London Walks. (www.walks.com) We had a blast!!! Best of all it was only £8.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 00:08
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

A very nice hotel indeed is the Holiday Inn Express Limehouse. It almost invariably has good rates and includes a complimentary breakfast. It's a four-minute walk from Limehouse DLR station and the very frequent 15 bus passes nearby and will get you to the West End (and many interesting places in between) in about 25 minutes. If you're a night owl the N15 gets you back along the same route.

uk
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

thank you all for answering¬ Im happy to stay in a premier inn type hotel - but of course if more upmarket hotels do deals at weekends then that would be great.

Im definitely going to do the tour - everyone says its good so looking forward to that!

Edited: 04 March 2011, 12:39
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

At weekends there are very often good bargains in the City hotels, handy for forays into the West End in one direction and the East End in the other. The two Club Quarters hotels, for instance, have very good weekend rates. Last October I bid in the City on Priceline (knowing you get good hotels there at the weekend) and ended up in the Club Quarters Gracechurch for a bid of around £45 (round £57 after taxes and fees were added), but the hotel's own website and booking.com also have good rates (though not as good as a Priceline bid, of course). The irony is that I only got the Club Quarters because I bid three star, because at weekends Priceline consider it three star as it does not have a full restaurant service then. Had I bid four star I might not have got a hotel that was so good in terms of quality and location.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

If you want to stay in East London and you'd like to sample some eccentric English accommodation, have a look at www.40winks.org

I haven't stayed there so I can only tell you that it has had some great write-ups and has become quite popular. The propriertor, David Carter, is a jolly decent bloke and also does regular soirees www.timeout.com/london/venue/16438/40-winks

7. Re: where to stay for a taste of eastlondon -and the ripper tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 20:19