We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince Harry to Iraq?

Topeka, KS, USA
Level Contributor
546 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Prince Harry to Iraq?

Just heard on mid-afternoon news that if his unit is called up for duty in Irag that Prince Harry will go with them and wont get preferential treatment. I wondered how long its been since a royal prince has faced a similar challenge, and knew that this is the place where you British history buffs will know the answer.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

From what I remember, Prince Andrew was the last royal to face a similar challenge in the Falklands War.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

I think you're right, TrishP. That's the latest one I can remember.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

And there is also Lord Mountbatten, Queen Elizabeth's cousin, who had a very renowned career in the army during WWII, mostly in the Indochina theatre. He was killed by an IRA bomb in 1979.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

Yes, I think so as well. I also remember he was 'in harm's way' - was not given special treatment and served on an aircraft carrier if I remember correctly.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

Whoops - Prince Andrew, I was talking about.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

Actually, Prince Andrew flew combat missions as a helicopter pilot during the Falklands war. I remember his helicopter being put on display at the Imperial War Museum at RAF Duxford, complete with numerous bullet holes in the fuselage, shortly after the Falklands war concluded.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

Yes, that's right. He was co-pilot on a Sea King helicopter - on the aircraft carrier Invincible. Apparently the government did not want him to go - suggested a desk job - but the queen insisted he stay with his ship as was his wish.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

What is he doing now days? I never see anything abou him anywhere. Fergie, on the other hand, is over here promoting Weight Watchers all the time.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

Last I heard he was Captain of The R&A Golf Club. I believe he is involved with a lot of charities (as are many of the royal family) but tends to be regarded as the most lascivious and lazy royal. He was once known as Randy Andy you know.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prince Harry to Iraq?

He probably wasn't lazy when he was randy. Hopefully he didn't learn those ways when he spent that semester in Lakefield school in Ontario.