We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Denmark
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Visiting London with two teenagegirls they have great expectations - when it comes to shopping!

Does anybody know if Lakside shopping center is a good place to shop? We are also visiting Oxford Street and Camden area.

Is it safe to let the girls go on their own while the old folks take a cup of coffea nearby?

Any advice is welcome!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,902 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Westfield is much easier to get to and they'd probably enjoy it more.

uk.westfield.com/london/fashion/ss11-campaign

Essex
Level Contributor
27,990 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Well, I used to like Lakeside, but when I went there to do my Christmas Shopping in December, I was bored witless, the selection of shops available is getting ever 'smaller' in variety, you might as well just go down your local High Street, for all the 'difference' there is!!

Of course it is huge, undercover and with acres of free parking, plus several restaurant choices and a cinema (and even a scuba diving centre!). BUT ultimatley I'm sorry to say, it is dull, dull, dull. You would be better off going to Romford on a Market Day (Wednesday or Saturday), Bluewater or Westfield, as has already been suggested.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Yea Westfield is the newest shopping centre in London, it is also the biggest in the UK (and possibly in Europe).

Agree Lakeside has past its best, if you want to visit a shopping centre but fancy a trip just outside of London Bluewater is worth a look (now second biggest centre in the uk) depending on when you planning to visit probably will not be as busy as Westfield.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Bluewater http://www.bluewater.co.uk/

Denmark
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Thank you all!

We are staying at a hotel right next to North Acton so Westfield is an obvious choise.

Still need an answer to the question about safety though. Would it be safe to let the girls walk alone at Oxford Street and in Camden area? We will be closeby.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

You don't say exactly how old the girls are but Oxford St shops are inundated with gaggles of teen girls shopping w/o parents.

If they are somewhat city -savvy, dependable to return on time, or check in frequently in person or by cell they should be fine.

Denmark
Level Contributor
182 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Thank you. The two 15-year-old girls will love that answer!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Lakeside is an utter sh*th*le.

Bluewater and Westfield are at least clean and shiny, but they are still just shopping centres.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

I would keep a closer eye in Camden as it's a warren of stalls with groups

of wandering kids acting out a bit more than on the high street.

Shop til u drop!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lakeside shopping center - worth a visit?

Oxford street, Camden Town market and Westfields are good for Teenage girls. They will like the Top shop, Jane Norman, Primark and other departmental stores.