We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time share dilema..Where to stay..First timers to U.K.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Time share dilema..Where to stay..First timers to U.K.

We, ie.husband, 14 yr old daughter, and I ..all huge Anglophiles.. have a timeshare to trade with Interval International. We want to visit England..Problem it is expensive to fly into London $200 airport tax per ticket and no timeshares near London. the timeshares are only in: Cumbria,Canterbury, Kent,Barton-under-Needwood, Staffordshire,Canterbury, Kent, Praze-An-Beeble, Camborne, Cornwall,Dartmouth, Devon,Oakham, Rutland..sorry just copied a few from the Interval international website...and I have no clue how long the drive would be from point A. airport, to point B timeshare to point C Lake district or Shires or point D London?? We want to see Lake district and countryside but a whole week?? and we would also enjoy spending 2 days in London in a Hotel...Any suggestions where to fly in and stay in the country and then take a couple days in London to see the sites .Sorry if this doesn't make sense but my brain is starting to hurt trying to make this work and not be driving so much that we don't get to hike and site see ..We only have a week so want to be efficient with our time...sigh! Maybe it is impossible but I would like to try to make a plan of action if I could make it work out my daughter would be thrilled as she reads all the English classic novels and it would be a dream come true for all of us.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
London
London
England, UK
Cumbria
Cumbria
England, UK
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Staffordshire
Staffordshire
England, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Devon, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
The English Restaurant
The English Restaurant
334 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time share dilema..Where to stay..First timers to U.K.

Canterbury is the only town near to London, and even that is quite a long train journey.

Are you wanting to visit London, or just somewhere in England.

If you are looking at Cumbria or Staffordshire look at cost of flying into Manchester rather than London as much closer.

Go to www.theaa.com

On there you can put in locations from one place to another to see distances.

Also if you come into London under no circumstances bring a car in as very expensive to park, and hard to park, plus during the week there is a charge of 10.00GBP for the pleasure of driving a car in London.

Alternatively fly into London and find a cheap b&b and spend the whole week in London with perhaps a day trip somewhere to Bath or Oxford.

Petrol prices in UK are sky high at present and to fill an average car up will cost about 60-70GBP a time.

Mentioned in this post
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
London
London
England, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Cumbria
Cumbria
England, UK
Staffordshire
Staffordshire
England, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time share dilema..Where to stay..First timers to U.K.

Thank you for the fuel tip..I live in US and it is almost $4 a gallon here and we are complaining...I wanted to use the timeshare but it seems impossible as there is no timeshares in London and I just dont think we will have enough to keep us busy for a week in the Lake district. I would like to see the Beatrix Potter area but also want to see the Palace the changing of the guard also to see the places where Jane Austin, Elizabeth Gaskill, Dickens wrote about. We probably need 2 weeks or more

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
London Elizabeth Hotel
London Elizabeth Hotel
1,642 Reviews
London, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time share dilema..Where to stay..First timers to U.K.

Hello teacupmama

I looked at your post, I looked again and my mind got a bit 'boggled' just like yours. So I went to find the website of Interval International, in hopes that would help. Yaay!! I found one, and it did!!:

http://www.intervalworld.com/

I had a look at the resorts/places they offer in the UK, and this is what I think you should do (but it is just MY opinion - so you may well get other better ones!!)

You say you want to visit the Lake District, predominantly, so I'd go for the Burnside Park Resort. Windermere is quite well 'set' for tourism, you should find pubs, shops, restaurants, supermarket and car hire there to 'ease' your journey. Flying to Manchester is a good idea, as has already been suggested.

So, fly to Manch, hire car, go to Lakes and tour there for 5 days. Then drive to London, relinquish car, stay in a CHEAP Hotel (hell, it's only 2 nights - sleep, shower, ablute, shave etc and get OUT!!). Do what you want to do in London, and then fly home from there.

You might get some more detailed suggestions/better suggestions/other suggestions, but at least this is a start!!

Mentioned in this post
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Burnside Park
Burnside Park
89 Reviews
Bowness-on-Windermere, UK
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time share dilema..Where to stay..First timers to U.K.

that sounds do-able the problem is husband and I are different travelers Me: Quaint and out of the way Sandra Brown style and He is a See the main sites type and don't linger too long..Soo it takes me forever to plan also the timeshare limits us but it is paid for so try to use it up thanks for your research now for the rest of the planning.

5. Re: Time share dilema..Where to stay..First timers to U.K.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 14:17