We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

MRB13
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

Hello helpful TA members,

My husband and I are flying into London and spending one night there en route to Greece. We land in Heathrow at noon on a Saturday and have a 7am flight out of Gatwick the following day. We have both been to London before, but would like to do a small bit of sightseeing on Saturday afternoon and evening. Given that, it would seem to make sense to get a hotel close to whatever area we want to visit and taxi to Gatwick the next day. However, our flight is also early and thus we will need to arrive and check-in for the flight very early...would we be better served to stay at a hotel closer to Gatwick? Thanks!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

I would take the National Express coach to Gatwick -check into a hotel -Sofitel or Hilton

Dump my luggage -and take the train into London for the evening - and back to Gatwick to sleep

I presume you will need to check in around 5am (ugg)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

I would stay at or near Gatwick for a flight that early. You could take your bags into London and leave them at Left Luggage at Victoria Station for a charge of 8£/bag. Spend the rest of the day in London, then collect the bags and take the train out to Gatwick.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

Or stay somewhere near Victoria, leave your luggage at the hotel, and get up early and catch the Gatwick Express to the airport. I've stayed in town and at Gatwick -- of course the difference in town is that you have to get up half an hour earlier to allow for the train ride to the airport. But you also can spend all night in London ... and you don't waste time going from Heathrow to Gatwick the day before.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

Check out hotels near either Victoria or London Bridge stations. On Sunday, both have early, fast train services to Gatwick. Indeed, trains run from Victoria through the night. Both areas can be reached fairly easily on the tube; Victoria would be more central.

There should be no need to take the Gatwick Express, which costs 17.90GBP. The standard Southern service takes only a few minutes longer for maximum 12.50, and there may be some advance purchase gems for a lot less.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

If you could let us know the dates involved we can check to see if there are any weekend engineering works on the trains and tubes that might affect your trip.

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
190 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

I will second Konagirl's post.

Victoria Station is a fun place to be around, even if just for a night.

A Simply Airports hire car (www.simplyairports.co.uk) will get you from Heathrow to any hotel in the Victoria area for about 40 GBP.

As an alternative, the National Express bus service from Heathrow to the Victoria Coach station (www.nationalexpress.com) will cost just 5 GBP. The coach station is just two long blocks from Victoria tube and rail station

and half-way along you will pass (on your right on Eccleston Bridge Road) the entrance to the Gatwick Express.

The GEX (www.gatwickexpress.com) non-stop to Gatwick's south terminal, costs 16.10 GBP but generally has a 10% off sale going on. It will take just 30 minutes the following morning to get to the airport.

There are dozens and dozens of one-two-three or four star hotels around Victoria Station and the same holds true for restaurants and pubs.

As for sightseeing nearby, have you been through the State Rooms and the Queen's Garden at Buckingham Palace or the Palace's Royal Mews?

Well, There's my two-cents worth. Hope you have an enjoyable holiday whatever you decide to do.

Darks

Edited: 06 March 2011, 23:26
MRB13
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

This is all wonderful information and we appreciate it! The date that we will be there is Saturday, May 7th and we fly out on 5/8.

Thank you!

MRB13
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

Texhills,

I know it's been a few weeks since I originally posted my question, but my planning is going in fits and starts! I think that we are going to stay out at Gatwick, but in order to eliminate dealing with the Heathrow-Gatwick-bags ordeal we'll be following your advice regarding Left Luggage at the Victoria Coach Station. Is there a particular bus line between Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station that we should use? Or would it be faster to come into the city by rail and just walk over to the Coach Station to ditch our bags for the afternoon? Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,

mrb13

London
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

i suggest you discount Victoria coach station.

The road journey from central London to Gatwick is a misery - the train is always a better answer. There is a left luggage office at the railway station.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

Left luggage is at the train station. Here's the link for the location http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php With the limited time you have, I suggest you take the express train to Paddington then the tube or taxi to Victoria Station.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: One night in London + early flight out of Gatwick

Don't forget left luggage at the train station is shut overnight - so an early hours train to Gatwick may leave you luggageless.