We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Cards

Hello All

Being from the USA, I do not have any credit cards that have the European chip.

I already know that the Restaurant at the Royal Opera will not take my card to pay for my meal.

Will I be able to use the card at ATMs, Museums, Restaurants and Taxis, or should I plan on having a pocket full of pounds sterling?

Many thanks

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,746 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards

Yes.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,753 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards

ATMs, no problem, as long as you have a 4 digit PIN. CCs at hotels, restaurants, etc, no problem. The only issue may be busy clubs, where the bartenders/servers only "understand" chip+pin (I've seen that not just in London but other countries in Europe). So carry a enough's cash around to pay a tab.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Cards

Sorry to intrude, so if I take two or more CC and cash I suppose I will be all right...yes?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Cards

Be aware that if you use a (Chip and Pin) credit card, as opposed to a debit card in an ATM you will be charged interest from the second you withdraw the cash as it is treated as a loan.

You can swipe and sign non chip cards in most restaurants and shops.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Cards

Re using credit cards, call your bank and see what kind of foreign transaction fee they might charge every time you use it. This is a fee above and beyond the pounds to dollars conversion and can be around 3%--it can add up. If they do have a fee, if you have time before you travel you could look into getting a card with no fee. like CapitalOne Visa. I think USAA also offers one.

USA
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Cards

I would never use my credit card to obtain foreign currency from an ATM. The withdrawal would be treated as a cash advance. Last time I checked there would be a 3% fee for making the withdrawal, a 3% foreign currency conversion fee, and interest of about 20% starting from the moment of withdrawal.

ATM card rates vary by issuer and range from zero to 3% currency conversion fee plus zero to $5 withdrawal fee, a much better deal than withdrawing cash with a credit card.

Following up on TxOffWeGo's Capital One suggestion, card comparisons and more good information is available at flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/A…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,151 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Cards

"I already know that the Restaurant at the Royal Opera will not take my card to pay for my meal."

Care to explain that as unless it's not Visa / Mastercard / AmEx and probably Diners Club they should be able to accept it

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Cards

The Restaurant at the Royal Opera House will not take my US Credit Card to pay the balance owed for dinner. I will need to settle the bill (above the deposit, for which they did take my credit card) with cash.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Cards

That sounds very unusual - there's very few places like that and there ought to be none. Usually it's badly trained staff not knowing how to process the transaction rather than establishment policy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Cards

That's weird. If they took the deposit from the card then they clearly accept the card. Maybe they're just waiting for the OP to be there in person before accepting the remaining balance??

The most likely problem i would anticipate is some smaller retailers not accepting AmEx. But this is due to the extortionate fees AmEx charge the merchant per transaction rather than anything else.

At my work if a card has no pin it can be swiped and signed for.