We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandemans free tour

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sandemans free tour

Can anyone tell me how you do this tour, do you just turn up on the day and hope for the best? It gives you an option to book on their website, but then it ask for you c/c info?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandemans free tour

I guess no-one knows but I'm moving it up to the top of the list. I'm sure that you can just turn up on the day. Get there early before most other people and you should be fine.

Sweden
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandemans free tour

Since it's a free tour, there's no need to pay.Just show up at the meeting point and you will be divided into smaller groups. The guide is asking for a tip at the end of the walk. I took the walk last year and really enjoyed it!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandemans free tour

Are these in London now? The one in Edinburgh has a reputation as being poor value for money.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandemans free tour

And these tours aren't free when you are asked to pay/tip/donate at the end.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandemans free tour

And all those glowing reviews on tripadviser look fishy to me

London
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandemans free tour

Well I've tried these in lots of places in Europe, did the London tour August 2009 as a Londoner, enjoyed it. Obviously quality varies, same as with any tour. I've never felt pressurised to give anything- the guides make you aware that they are paid solely by tips at beginning and end, but I have seen people leave paying nothing.

In answer to the OP, yes, just turn up at the meeting point, you'll see the guides in red t-shirts, let them know you're there for the tour & they'll give you a numbered ticket, that's just to divide you into groups.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandemans free tour

I have done the Paris free tour and it was great! The tour guides do work for tips, so it is nice to give a little something at the end of the tour if you enjoyed it. All you have to do is go on the website and see where the meeting point is and just show up. It's pretty simple.

Also, if you lose interest, you can pretty much walk away from the tour at any given time.

florida
Level Contributor
441 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandemans free tour

Thank you all for the replies. As its "free" if we don't like it we will just leave.

I don't mind tipping a few bob, still cheaper than the 8 pound per person one's.

I think i will give it a try.

nyc
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandemans free tour

Definitely do it. I've enjoyed the free tours I've done with these guys in London and other cities (i.e. Munich, Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, Jerusalem). Think I'll do the tour again when I'm in London next week. I also never felt pressured to give any money, but did as I always felt it had been earned.

10. Re: Sandemans free tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 17:16