We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doable in one day? Please advise

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Doable in one day? Please advise

Planning to see Tower of London; St. Paul's Cathedral, Churchill War Rooms and London Bridge Exhibit in one-day as they are 241's and plan to have a paper rail travel ticket for the one day--can we do this all comfortably in one day? If not-any suggestions?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

Hi Linda,

The locals may have more concrete advice but from my (limited and long-ago) experience I'd say probably not, but that will depend on how much time you want to spend at each thing.

If you visit the Tower of London and do the audio tour, and listen to the talk by the Yeoman Guard (Beefeater) and see the Crown Jewels this can be a half a day. If you want to visit the whispering gallery and climb to the top of St. Paul's this is also time-consuming. I think the War Rooms also has an audio tour.

If you just want to 'see' the Tower and St. Paul's etc. (i.e. go in, take some pictures, come out) then it's probably do-able but I think you would enjoy it all much more if you had enough time to see all you wanted to see without feeling that you have to rush through.

Of course I could be totally wrong and the locals will say that it's more than do-able.

Apart from the 241s and the rail ticket do you have to do all these things on the same day or could you spread them out a bit?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,821 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

AussieGirl's summed it up--you have about two days worth of stuff there.

Perhaps think about doing Tower of London in the morning, first thing, then walk across the Tower Bridge, giving the "experience" bit a miss (which is only interesting if you're terribly interested in engineering) to do St. Paul's. St. Pauls has a fabulous audio tour that takes you all around the amazing church, then there's the crypt to do, and the ascension to the Whispering Gallery and the overlook at the top. Last entry for St. Paul's is 4:00, and I would get there well in advance of that.

That should be enough for one day, and you should be worn out!

If you still feel like you have time on your hands, then I would go to the Imperial War Museum, which has the advantage of being free, so you don't need to worry about 241 stuff.

london
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

as a local totally agree that this too much I agree that top two would be tower and st pauls doing both would be a full day , you can walk between the two and find somewhere to have lunch , even if this is just a sandwich as plenty of those types of shops as area between "the city" is financial hub of london

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

If you are in London more than one day then you can get a paper Travelcard from a train station booking office that allows you to use the 2-4-1 offers

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

I'm going to go counter to the mood here and say that I think the first three can fitted into a day, if you don't to get too obsessive at any of them, and you don't want anything more than a sandwich on the hoof for lunch.

Early start at the Tower, 2 to 3 hours there, 30 mins to get to St Paul's, 1 to 2 hours there, and get to the War Rooms before 4pm to allow 2 hours there.

I've no idea what the "London Bridge Exhibit" is.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,170 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

My suggestion would be, start at the Tower, stay as long as you are still enjoying it, then drift through the City - pleny to see there - to St Pauls if you still want to, spend as long as you are still interested there.........over to the War Rooms if you still have energy, but I wouldn't.

I found this when I googled London Bridge Experience, but I had never heard of it before. It takes all sorts.

http://www.thelondonbridgeexperience.com/

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

Did you perhaps mean Tower Bridge instead of London Bridge Exhibit? We did that a few years ago and it was OK. The views from the elevated walkway were nice and, coincidentally, the bridge opened for some river traffic while we were in the area--pretty neat.

Being at the Tower when it opens for the day saves a bit of time, if you are near the front of the queue. This visit, as stated, can be as long or as short as you want. I think you will feel shortchanged if you do not do a Yeoman Warder tour and see the crown jewels at a bare minimum.

If you are running out of steam after the Tower and St. Paul's, The War Rooms can easily be combined with a day in the Westminster or Buckingham Palace area.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

Do I need to buy the travelcard on the same day I want to use the 2 for one deals? Can I buy it the day before and then start using it on the day in question?j Also, about where I can buy the card, which train stations are we talking about? Victoria, Waterloo, Euston?

Thanks.

Edited: 10 March 2011, 16:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

You need to have tickets bought from a railway station that are valid on the day you want to use the 2-for-1 deal.

You can buy Travelcards in advance.

Edited: 10 March 2011, 20:31
ireland
Level Contributor
975 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doable in one day? Please advise

The London bridge experience is the greatest load of tripe and poppycock it has ever been my misfortune to experience. On the train into London we gave the two teenagers the 2for1 leaflet, and, asked them to choose something they would like to see, my niece chose this. I cant remember how much it cost, over £20 I think, it was over £20 too much. I could not recommend it to anyone. The kid's loved it though, thought it was very funny. It might be to scary for young children.