We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
643 reviews
Save Topic
Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

We plan to take a one day tour with a Blue Badge tour guide in their vehicle. If they do a good job, do you normally give a gratuity? If yes, what is typical?

Thanks,

fb

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

Although I'm not saying I approve, it has long been a tradition in the UK to have a collection for the driver when a coach is hired for church or work outings. Sometimes a hat or a box would be passed round, almost like a church collection. Much the same happened when I was on a coach tour of Europe with my dad, with a collection for the driver and courier. The difference between that and North American coach tours is that the amount people put in was entirely up to them. If the driver or courier suggested an amount I suspect they would have got nothing! In fairness, on the two tours I have been on in the US no amount was stipulated, though we did get a little talk about how the US business is 'service driven' and tips were expected for that reason.

Level Contributor
3,402 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

That's fine, its the US model, and should be respected as such if you visit. The same respect should apply the other way round

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

>>The worst is it distorts the business model and changes expectation.<<

GEJP, I'm 100% with you (and you should see how vehemently I defend the no tipping rule in the Greece forum, where there is the additional issue of tax evation within a struggling economy).

What I meant with my comment, and I apologise if it didn't come across right, is that if people don't care about following local practices, either for the purpose of fitting in, or simply out of good old-fashioned respect, there is no point in asking the question and then disregarding the advice they're given with platitudes about nice gestures and thanks. This happens every time the issue of tipping is discussed on the forum, and not just in this topic.

If you have been very very happy with a service you have received, either you will have paid through the nose for it, therefore an additional gratuity is not required, nor should it ever be expected, or the service was very competitively priced, in which case you can thank the person who delivered it by recommending them to others, writing a glowing review etc. as well as smiling brighty and saying thanks. Most self-employed (or non-salaried) people would rather have more work than more tips. And having more work benefits the country and the economy as a whole in a more straightforward and sustainable way than giving extra monies to individuals, particularly large amounts of extra monies.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

I've stayed at a hotel in Niagara Falls a few times where there is a tips jar......... AT CHECK-IN!!

As for offering to pay for someone's lunch, how about offering them the cost of their journey home too?

Surely if service wasn't included you'd do the tour yourself/make the food yourself/bring it out yourself? :p

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

I am reminded of a tale (recounted in one of Tom Shield's books) about a coach trip.

After totting-up the monies collected and the expenses, the trip leader said "I'm afraid we have a deficit of £xx."

One of the passengers piped up "I move we give the deficit to the driver."

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

If you are chartering a bus/guide for a day then paying for the driver's lunch isn't a tip - it's subsistence, and included on the fee schedule on that basis.

27. Re: Gratutity for a one day Blue Badge tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 14:16