We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

This is a dumb one. I work for the phone company and manage, among other things, our remaining public/coin payphones. While I am in London I would like to take a photo of me next to or in one of the old red phone booths, but I have read that these are all but practically gone from Britain. We’re staying at County Hall, but if anyone knows of one anywhere in zone 1 please let me know, thanks!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

Welcome kitty! My daughter lives in Columbus. short answer on red phone booths - YES! We took our pics by one on Victoria Street a few blocks from Westminster Abbey. But I'm sure the local forumites will fill you in on all the locations. Have fun and when are you going?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

we'll be there Friday 2/17 to Friday 2/24. We've been talking for months about going in the winter which will force us to see the museums and churches, which we missed when we were there in May 2001. As long as I get to go shopping too!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

Oh yes, we leaving next week (sorry to miss you) for a few days in London and then driving out to the Cotswolds and East Anglia. Shopping is fabulous - do a search here and you will find ALL kinds of great suggestions, including the big Markets.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

slightly dislexic tonight, should say "we ARE leaving"

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

THIS is getting ridiculous....dyslexic!!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,870 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

There's a red call box on the south side of the Cromwell Road, between Gloucester Road and the HI Kensington Forum Hotel. Don't be too shocked at the ... erm ... advertisements plastered on the inside of most call boxes.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

They are still everywhere in every town. British Telecom announced in the early 1990's that they would keep one thousand of the old Gilbert Scott booths in certain tourist locations. In the end they stopped getting rid of them and reintroduced them in certain places.

In central London you'll find a few on every street.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

Now we just have to get them to bring back all of the jump-on, jump-off double decker buses.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

The Covent Garden area has them all over -- could think of about seven, including several right there in the square.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I still find a red british telecom phone booth?

All around mayfair too, you'll have no problem finding one.