We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

USA
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

We are a couple in early 60's. Leaving tomorrow for London--thought I had entire trip planned-but now I am wondering if we should try to squeeze in Hampton Court Palce. I am not familiar with this palace at all...what does everyone think? A worthwhile sidetrip?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

The palace is going to require a half day so you can't exactly "squeeze" it in -- you're going to have to drop something else. Would have to know what else you are seeing to recommend what to drop.

We visited it on our second visit to the UK, so that's the priority we gave it.

USA
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

Could it possibly be done on the same day we do Windsor---are they in the same general direction? Also--if you are familiar with Windsor-do you advise seeing Eton at the same time? Is it also walkable from the station?

Uxbridge, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

They're in the same general quarter of Greater London, but public transport travel between them is awkward verging on impossible. It's doable in a car.

I've spent 5 hours at Hampton Court recently, it's not really something to "squeeze in" if you like palaces. If you're interested in Henry VIII and his life with Catherine of Aragon in particular, (as my wife is) then it's a must. If you just want to see any Royal residence then Windsor Castle should please you.

Yes, Eton is walkable from Windsor Castle, it's on the opposite river bank.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

To amplify on Edwin's answer, while Hampton Court is indeed about half way between central London and Windsor, getting there by train takes 90 minutes because you have to head back into London, changing at Clapham Junction for a train to the Windsor & Eton station.

North Wales
Level Contributor
526 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

I used to work in that area and while HCP is wonderful I personally wouldn't try to see Windsor and Hampton Court in one day. The journey by public transport would take too long & even by car it's a stretch. We went with the kids last year and we were there 5 hours & still rushed bits of it. Enjoy Windsor Castle & Town and do HCP another time.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

I first went to London in 95 as an au pair(to Hampton) and I must say on every time I've been back I've visited HCP because I love it. I do agree with te other posters though, "squeezing" it in might be difficult. If you love a bit of history(Henry VIII&Wiliam of Orange ea), beautiful gardens etc it's wonderful to visit. I'm going again in July :)

7. Re: Hampton Court Palace: What do you think?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 06:17