We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best art musuem in London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
12 posts
Save Topic
Best art musuem in London?

Hi All - Only time for one art museum in London - which do you suggest - The Tate, the National Gallery, or the Sloane? Do you have a favorite museum tour guide or company? Many thanks!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best art musuem in London?

We call them Art Galleries. Depends what sort of visual art you like. The National Gallery has, possibly, the best collection of 'old' paintings in the world. The Tates (there are two in London) cover mainly British Art - Tate Britain - and contemporary at Tate Modern.

The Royal Academy has a variety of special exhibitions throughout the year and the Summer Exhibition for which it is mainly well known.

The list continues......

Get a guide book, work out what sort of work you would like to see and go.

Uxbridge, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best art musuem in London?

The National Gallery would be my choice, it's a must for any art lover visiting London. The National Portrait gallery around the back is worth visiting too.

Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best art musuem in London?

Thank You!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best art musuem in London?

Sorry to lower the cultural tone, but given your ID tag, and in case food's a factor, I'd offer the view that the restaurant (not the cafe) in the Tate Modern is the best; for views and lunch; tate.org.uk/modern/eatanddrink/restaurant.htm

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,936 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best art musuem in London?

The Wallace Collection has a very nice cafe too. TheCouirtauld has some fantastic pictures and easy access to good lunch.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,936 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best art musuem in London?

Oops, should read Courtauld.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best art musuem in London?

This is going to sound really silly coming from someone who has never been to the Tate modern (going in May!) but it is the only art gallery I have ever heard people (more than one and some who generally like contemporary art) say they absolutely hated every "thing" there. I know they change their displays though.

But unless you really like contemporary art it may not be the best choice if you only have time for one gallery.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best art musuem in London?

The National Gallery probably has the most comprehensive collection from all periods, ancient and modern. As well as being right next to the National Portrait Gallery its location on Trafalgar Square also makes it the most convenient for most visitors. It's free, so it's easy to pop in and out if you don't want to do it all in one go (though feel free to put something in the voluntary donations box at some time!).

Edited: 13 March 2011, 12:29
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best art musuem in London?

I am a big fan of the Wallace Collection, followed closely by the National Gallery.

Q to the OP - what's the Sloane?

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best art musuem in London?

Mind you I havent been to London for several years but I did enjoy the National Gallery and the Tate Britain.

The Tate Modern wasn't my favourite though. Which for me was weird as I rather liked Centre Pompidou in Paris, and I felt that Tate Modern would be simelar...