We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London 2012 accommodations

syracuse,ny
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London 2012 accommodations

Hello,

I have never been to London and I am trying to figure out which part of London to stay in, looking for more of a condo than a hotel. I will be staying a 1.5 weeks and hope to get tickets for tennis, badminton, swimming, gymnastics,soccer and weightlifting. What part of London would make since considering these events.

Thanks,

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London 2012 accommodations

The venues for the events on your list are scattered around the capital (tennis at Wimbledon [near Southfields Underground station], badminton and gymnastics at the O2 in North Greenwich, swimming at Stratford, weightlifting at the ExCel Centre and football [soccer] at stadia outside London with the final at Wembley) so there is no one area that will be better than another for your London stay.

If you'd like to book a short stay flat then please let us know your budget for a one week booking and whether you'd like a studio or one bedroom flat.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London 2012 accommodations

I've been looking at this myself. One thing I'd recommend is not getting too bogged down in details until you actually have tickets. For instance, the only sport on your list taking place in Olympic Park is swimming. Unless you have some connections, swimming tickets are darn hard to get. So access to Olympic Park may or may not be something you factor into your equation.

SIDE NOTE - If you aren't 100% wedded to the events you listed, do consider trying to get at least one event in Olympic Park, as there will be much to see there. They *may* decide to sell tickets into the park for people not going to events, but that hasn't been decided as far as I know.

If the only thing you care about is access to your listed venues, something near Waterloo station is probably the single best place to be. But I think you are much better off picking the neighborhood where you want to stay based on other factors. You can get to the venues from just about anywhere in central London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London 2012 accommodations

> swimming tickets are darn hard to get <

Why's that?

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London 2012 accommodations

Swimming has just about every factor that makes getting tickets hard:

- marquee event

- big name stars

- small (ish) venue

- spectator friendly

- lots of medals

- lots of American medals

- good chances for GB medals

There are a few mitigating factors

- lots of sessions

- non-medal sessions

- not a tiny venue

With Track Cycling and Diving, Swimming tickets will likely be the toughest to get.

Edited: 14 March 2011, 17:03
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London 2012 accommodations

Would suggest this is better placed in the Olympics forum

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London 2012 accommodations

> - marquee event <

What does that mean, please?

> small (ish) venue <

Are you saying the one in London is known to be too small? Or that in general they are too small?

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London 2012 accommodations

Sorry Nick, I don't understand your questions.

Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London 2012 accommodations

I very much doubt most swimming will be a sell out. Its not that popular in the UK, and with so many sessions to choose from it should be pretty easy to get tickets I reckon. The US angle isnt important, as the focus will be selling tickets through the UK not US

Same with diving, yes there will be a bit of local interest in Tom Daley, but apart from that, should be one of the less popular events

Nick, a marquee event, is a headline event, a big event so to speak, in terms of the games

Excluding the ceremonies, my guess would be Track cycling will be a tough one, with the size of venue and local interest

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London 2012 accommodations

Thanks, GEjp.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London 2012 accommodations

TA have gone to the effort of setting up an Olympics forum and although it is tempting to answer here, I would ask that questions of this type relating to tickets and accommodation are asked and answered there - tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i13530-Olympics…