We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

I found a package with several options for a show in the west end combined with a 'pre-selected' menu from a restaurant in the Covent Garden area (Maxwells and Rock Garden are two of them), I am wondering if anyone had done this and what it was like. I can't see any problem (even the worst seats alone are worth the cost alone). Any help/comments?

Thanks!

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

Hi,

I've bought theatre/dinner combo tickets before & have been pleased. The seats are often in the balcony but, as you say, even the worst seats often cost more than the combination tickets.

What shows are you looking at? Sometimes the best seats in the theatre aren't always the best for a particular show. I was way up high for "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang" which was just where you wanted to be for the final scene.

ontario
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

can you please tell me the website you found it on please and thanks

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

I've had good luck using LastMinute.com

Also, you'll find good deals on the Virtual London website (www.virtual-london.com) They have all sorts of offers, including London Eye/Meal packages.

London
Level Contributor
770 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

I've used these deals in the past and they've been very good value for money. Once or twice the cost of the package has been less than just eating at the restaurant!

And as mentioned, the seats are usually way up in the theatre, but sometimes if the audience is small they will close parts of the theatre off and upgrade you to better seats - guess it means fewer staff and less cleaning etc for the theatre.

Boston, MA USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

the package I found was at thisislondon.com

they have quite a few of them, and if I recall the theatres are not very large to begin with.

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

Janie-Jones, we are thinking of traveling from London to Birmingham to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Do you think it would be worth the trip for a family with 6 and 8 year old children?

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

You could see "Mary Poppins," although I've heard it is a bit dark for young children. If you want to see "Chitty..." you'll have to fly to NYC, where it's playing on Broadway. It closed in London last year.

I'm sure there are other shows in the West End that your children would enjoy. Perhaps, someone else could make a reccommendation as I haven't seen any of the recent productions.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

Oh, gee! Sorry! I'm wearing the wrong glasses & completely misread your post :)

"Chitty..." is in Birmingham, gotcha now! I'm not sure it'd be worth the trip if that were the only reason for it, but if you have other things to do in Birmingham, then I'd say go for it. I found the film to be more engaging than the stage production, but there were still some fun & colourful scenes. I actually was disappointed w/the play, but would see it again just for the final scene & song. Then again, I'm a kid at heart.

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

I thought a trip to Cadbury World might make the trip to Birmingham worthwhile for us, although I've heard mixed reviews on Cadbury World as well. Janie, I think I'm a kid at heart, too, as Mary Poppins remains one of my favorite movies as I have seen it on DVD many times with my children. Maybe we should just stay in London and see Mary, then leave if it gets too dark. (Funny, my parents took me to see Mary Poppins at the drive-in when it first premiered in the 1960s and I cried and had to leave. Could that be an omen?) Maybe I should just take them to St. George's or St. Paul's cathedral, whichever it is, and sing "Feed the Birds" to them instead?

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 19.95 GPB Dinner and Show

ohnctx,

I love "Mary Poppins" too. "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" is another wonderful movie, although there's something about Julie Andrews and my favourite, D*ck van Dyke as Mary & Bert that can't be beat. And that score from the Sherman Brothers. There are so many great songs in Mary Poppins and "Feed the Birds" is certainly one of them. It was nominated for 13 Academy Awards and won 5 (incl Best Actress (Julie Andrews,) Best Musical Score and Best Song ("Chim Chim Cher-ee")

A bit of trivia: Sing, or hum, "Spoonful of Sugar." You'll find something rather clever that the Shermans did -- "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..." When you get to the word "down," the note actually goes up.

I'm pleased to hear it's one of your favourite films, as well. It might be set in 1910, but the lessons taught are timeless.

As for Cadbury World, I've read negative reviews also. Your children are still young, though, and it looks like fun from what I saw on the website www.cadburyworld.co.uk/EN/CWORLD/Experience

Besides, as far as I'm concerned, any place called Cadbury World can't be all bad :)