We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

Boston, MA USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

I have worked extensively on preparing the following itinerary and thought I would post it in the even that anyone may have comments/helpful hints. I spent a year in London from 1988 to 1989, I have been back a few times to visit friends, but have not visited since 1997....

This is a bit of an impromptu trip, we are a group of three adults, one who has never visited London and one that spend a couple days there last year, so I am trying to put together something that will work for us all.

Arrive in London on Friday ~ noon

Travel to rented flat (expect to arrive 2-3pm)

Spend afternoon wandering

Possible Jack the Ripper tour Friday Evening

Saturday

Start day at 9am at Tour of London

Work our way back, stopping at the Monument, St. Pauls and/or Westminster Abbey

Meet with friends in the evening to sample libations at a number of locations:)

Sunday

Trip to Stonehenge/Bath 9A-7P (considering Evan Evans or Golden Tours)

Pub crawl near flat

Monday:

Get all day hop on-hop off bus tour of London to catch a little of all of the tourist activities, hoping ot fit in Harrods, etc

6PM: Dinner/Theatre combo

Tuesday: Leave flat ~ 10 am for 1pm flight to US

The way I look at it, Saturday could be a challenge, but we can stop at any time...

Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

St. George UT
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

One question: what is the likelihood that all three of you will want to do the same things? Hopefully, you have discussed this long before now and have developed a mutually agreeable itinerary. As one who travels to England on her own usually, I am a bit gun shy about trying to plan for three different people. The best scenerio for my trips with others is when we agree to do some things on our own and meet in the evening; don't know whether this is a option--because it depends alot on how independent your co-travellers are.

At any rate hope your trip is wonderful!

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

What tube stop is near your flat? (so we can recommend pubs for your crawls)

I think you've come up with a very good plan. You've built in relaxation along with the obligatory sites. A lot of people post itineraries that look to filled up.

Arrival days are very tough to plan, you might have one person unable to keep eyes open, but I might be tempted to sneak in London Eye as your first stop after the flat, but maybe two of you have done that already? (I didn't do it until my 6th trip).

The jack the ripper walk is good, but not as good as the company hypes it up. That company has many interesting walks.

Boston, MA USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

We are near the Tottenham Court Road tube stop. Suggestions on pubs in the area would be greatly appreciated, so I can get the best atmosphere in the most efficient way!

As far as whether all three of us want to do the same things....this has been discussed at length, we are all under the agreement that if one of us does not want to take part in a particular activity he/she will feel comfortable venturing on his/her own...we are all very capable adults with travel experience.

I was attempting to make the itinerary useful but not overpowering...

Thanks for the info on the Jack the Ripper walk, we were under the impression it was incredible...we will still consider it, but this input is very helpful!

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

I wanted to comment favorably on Golden and Evan Evans tours; I've taken the exact tour you're mentioning to Stonehenge/Bath twice and have enjoyed it. In May we probably will take the Stonehenge/Windsor Castle when I go with my husband who hasn't seen either.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

Hi and welcome to the London forum.

A nice flexible, not too packed plan with hopefully time to relax and sit (if it is not too cold) and smell the roses as well as people watch.

You may be too tired for the Ripper Walk on your first evening. They get busy even in the winter and the area is not the nicest should you want to break away. www.walks.com offer a couple of pub walks starting at 7.00 from South Kensington and Blackfrairs tube stations which may be more fun and less tiring for your first evening.

Personally I would switch the daytime activities for Saturday and Monday around. I always think it is a good plan to get your bearings on the first full day and you could fit in Westminster Abbey and/or The Eye as well. The two companies (Big Bus and Original London Tours) also include a free boat trip as part of the price. They both run two routes and I always think the route with a live guide is better. However the only route that goes past Harrods is the recorded commentary route so you may prefer to take the Piccadilly Line tube to Knightsbridge where Harrods has it's own exit.

Switching the days also gives you the flexibility to fit in whatever you haven't already done, but want to do, on your last day.

On the Sunday we are hosting a TALF meet at The Lamb pub in Lambs Conduit Street which isn't a million miles away from Tottenham Court Road (maybe a 20-25 minute walk). You would all be most welcome to join us. More details on the thread headed Feb 12.

The immediate area around Tottenham Court Road tube isn't the greatest for good pubs but a couple in the Good Beer Guide near to Goodge Street tube (one station north on the Northern Line) are The Hope in Tottenham Street and The One Tun in Goodge Street. More pub ideas at www.fancyapint.com.

Hope that helps but please do ask again if anything is unclear or of you have any other questions.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

London
Level Contributor
392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

There are quite a few nice bars about 10 mins walk from TCR tube along Great Titchfield street (Crown and Sceptre, candles, fairy lights etc) and Great Portland Street (The C*ck, no really it's a nice old fashioned pub - try getting a seat upstairs).

There is a really 'odd' pub on New Cavendish Street called The Ship - you have to see it to believe it, but on the few occasions I have been there am always amazed at how it stays in business, but a quaint if odd place.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

I agree that you might want to consider moving the tour bus to Saturday. This will be better for your "first-timer" friend as it will get them all excited about the city as well as give a great overview.

On day of arrival, something that's always worked for me is to take a nap in the afternoon, shower, grab a quick dinner, and then head out to a London Walk.

Boston, MA USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Feb 10-14 Itinerary

We will actually be stopping in Iceland for a visit before heading to London, so hopefully we will be caught up on sleep, I hope!