We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gmail call phone function

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
gmail call phone function

Has anybody used the 'call phone' function on chat from their gmail account to call North America? This continues to be free for 2011. I can call anyone in N.A. for free from home using this function on my gmail account, and am wondering if it will work while we are in the U.K..

Thanks.

ktown

Idaho
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gmail call phone function

I will be in UK next week. If you wish, I can test the feature and get back to you?

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
974 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gmail call phone function

Yes, it works. My sister and brother-in-law called me in Kentucky multiple times via gmail while travelling from Manchester to Cambridge to London. However, the connection varied from clear to iffy at times. Still, you can't beat the price.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gmail call phone function

Thanks!

That's great.

ktown

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
974 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gmail call phone function

Sometimes,they'd have to hang up and call back, but the frustration was temporary. I bought an inexpensive cheap pay-as-you-go cell phone last time and it was a good deal if you need to be sure of a clear connection. TravellerPlus and others tend to know the best deals on those.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gmail call phone function

Thanks again.

I'm planning on buying a cell phone once I get there, but I was also hoping to be able to call home just to 'chat' if there was no cost to me.

ktown

Idaho
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gmail call phone function

I am currently in the UK and am able to use gmail voice to make calls outside of the UK. Infact, I didnt bring my computer with me. I came only with my ipod Touch and a headset with mic capabilities. i installed an app called TalkaTone. It has enabled me to make and receive calls on my ipod touch. All I need is a good wifi connection. If I am unavailable, my parents leave me a voice message and it has worked out pretty well.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gmail call phone function

Thanks for the info. vasulava! This will save a great many travelers money.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to the UK!

ktown

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gmail call phone function

I made ample use of Gmail phone to call usa whilst at 9,000 ft. in the Andes and using only a wi-fi connection. It was not without the difficulties of dropped calls and being told that my voice sounded far away. Curiously though, I could hear them crystal clear all the time. In short, it works, one can be productive, and it's free.

My hotel had wi-fi throughout but I found that the Gmail calls had better reception when I was in the solarium. What worked for me was finding the strongest signal in my immediate environs before calling. I got a twenty minute uninterrupted call while in this area where only glass separated me from the heavens.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 13:04
9. Re: gmail call phone function

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:24