We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting place near Heathrow?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting place near Heathrow?

I will have a 2 night layover at Heathrow early in June. I have visited London several times, and thought it might be a nice change to stay somewhere else with easy transit to the airport. Say within a 20-30 minute taxi ride.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am considering Windsor, but have also been there already. Ease of getting back to airport for an early morning flight is important as well. Interests are seeing sites, enjoying countryside and nice meals.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bel
London, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

How about Richmond upon Thames? Nice place to stay, good restaurants and shops, walks along the river, Richmond Park is lovely (not quite countryside, but near enough). Also close to Kew Gardens and not far from Hampton Court. Should be within the necessary taxi ride distance.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

The only problem with Richmond is aircraft noise, otherwise it has a lot to offer - parks, river, shops, cinemas, theatre, pubs, etc.. But Windsor has aircraft noise as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

I agree with bel , good pub on river.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

Aircraft noise is not that big a problem in either Windsor or Richmond.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

If aircraft noise was that bad, would the Queen stay at Windsor Castle?

Try Shepperton, or Guildford, Uxbridge...

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

Denham Village looks like something from an Agatha Christie novel; quintissental English village 25 minutes (or so) from LHR.

There is an Inn with rooms (The Falcon) and the newly crowned gastro pub of the year (The Swan). Not too many 'sights' but a lovely church & church yard and a country park to walk around.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will investigate them and come back with questions. I was also thinking of Oxford. I know it is further then I wanted, but I have never been there. Looks like there is good bus service, but for my early morning flight will need to look into cost of a car.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,206 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

National Express buses run every half hour through the night between Oxford and the airport so if you can find accommodation close to the pick-up point then it will work out cheaper than getting a taxi.

London
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

http://www.visitrichmond.co.uk/

I'd still prefer Richmond over Oxford, because it's nearer, has good shopping, and there's so much to do there including going to Richmond theatre. There'll also be Twickenham Carnival on Sunday 12 June if you are around then - Richmond and Twickenham are next to each other.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting place near Heathrow?

Here's another vote for Richmond, which has Marble Hill House and Ham House stately homes, and you can get a boat ride from there to Hampton Court Palace.