We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legoland/Natural History Museum/Science Museum - which days?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
333 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Legoland/Natural History Museum/Science Museum - which days?

Hi,

My 6 year old son and I are going to London for three days last weekend in May. We will arrive at hotel about 2-3pm on Thursday (hopefully), then leave on Monday. 'Must do' trips are Legoland and Natural History Museum - but would also really like to go to science museum (same day as NHM).

The problem is deciding which days, want to try and to to each when least crowded.

Originally thought Legoland Friday, museums on Saturday. But would the museums be too packed on Saturday?

If we go to Legoland on Saturday instead would we be waiting in very long queues? Would the museums on weekdays be full of school trips - so more crowded than weekends?

Also thought of trying to go to the Natural History Museum on Thursday late afternoon if we get there on time, then Legoland on Friday, then science museum early as possible Saturday (could also revisit NHM is not seen everything.

Is Sunday better - thought not as I would think most people would be having a family day out on Sunday if any day at all.

If all this makes sense has anyone got any advice on the 'best' days for each? I really don't know as not been to any of the places before.

Thanks for any help

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legoland/Natural History Museum/Science Museum - which days?

Hi

You may be asking a lot for a 6 year old to do both museums in one day! We took our grandson two years ago when he was six and he got quite tired walking around the Natural History Museum - it's BIG!

Why not let the weather make your decision - if it rains on your Legoland day it will spoil it, everything is outside, so you could do with a dry day.

If you do decide to stick to a day plan, then I suggest getting your Legoland tickets online - it does save a lot of standing in queues at the entrance. Obviously weekends at Legoland will be busy, so be prepared.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legoland/Natural History Museum/Science Museum - which days?

All else being equal I might visit Legoland on the 27th. The following week is half term so it will be busy whatever you do and wherever you go. The Friday will be a travel day (and a school day) so possibly won't be that busy and I somehow suspect your young man will tire as the holiday goes on so getting his big treat that is some distance from London in early makes more sense.

In an ideal world you would want to visit the NHM and Science Museums on the same day as they are next to each other but I do think flexibility is the key. Knowing that admission is free means that you don;t have to overplan and there is something to be said for just taking a break and relaxing in Hyde Park.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,896 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legoland/Natural History Museum/Science Museum - which days?

Agree with Adamhornets wholeheartedly; if you can avoid going to Legoland on a weekend, do so.

And there are some parts of both museums that are going to hold more of an attraction for an age six than others. I would have a look around their websites, and then let him and his energy call the shots.

Still remember the time I took my two to the NHM intending to do so much, and instead we ending up spending the better part of our day participating in a special live butterfly exhibit outdoors. It was a memorable day. At one point my son had five or six that had landed on him, as he had dressed brightly.

Wing it.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 03:54
4. Re: Legoland/Natural History Museum/Science Museum - which days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:18