We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise transfer from London to Southampton

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
cruise transfer from London to Southampton

I am taking my first international cruise June 3rd from Sothampton using Friends/Family discount. I will be staying in London for two days before cruise. Need suggestions as to best way to get to the port, then return to Heathrow on way home.With this discount, very difficult to get assistance from cruise line (Princess). I am traveling with my 20 year old daughter.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

Do a search for "southampton" on this forum or "london" on the southampton forum for a few suggestions

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

There non-stop trains from London Waterloo to Southampton Central that leave fairly frequently. The fastet trains take an hour 13 minutes.

From the train station there are lots of taxis that will take you to the right dock for a reasonable sum in about 10 minutes.

I found it a very easy way to catch my ship. This link will let you find a train to suit you. I always take the train before the train I need to take to avoid any sense of hurry and stress.

ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/timetable/times

You also might like to have a look at the Cruise Critic message board, which you may find useful. Among other things, they will almost certainly have a "roll call" for your cruise and maybe even a meet-up of roll call members.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/

Edited: 05 April 2011, 08:07
3. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 May 2011, 15:05
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

There are 3 direct trains per hour from London Waterloo to Southampton Central. Off-peak single fare £33.90 (with anytime single fare just a few pence more). If returning to London after cruise best value is off-peak return ticket for £37.20. There's no need to buy tickets or book in advance as these tickets are always available at these prices at station for immediate travel. Adding in a few pounds for a taxi to the port even with 2 persons it's much cheaper than a private transfer and, given road congestion, at only around 1hr 17min will also be quicker.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

From London the budget traveller has 3 main choices.

Trains that run from London's Waterloo Station to Southampton several times an hour and Greyhound UK and National Express that operate coaches from London Victoria to Southampton.

The Megatrain web site offers deep discounted tickets on a subset of the frequencies to Southampton bringing the cost right down and Greyhound and National Express are fighting a price war at the moment on the Southampton route so you should pick up a ticket of their web sites for £5 or something.

At Southampton you will need to get a taxi to one of the four cruise terminals (this will cost 6 to 9GBP depending on cruise terminals), probably more than the ticket down from London

Between Southampton and Heathrow your only real choice is the National Express buses. You'll need to book well in advance as a lot of the people off the cruise ships have the same idea.

As there is no competition you'll probably end up paying much more for this ticket that the first leg from London even though its a much greater distance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

Megatrain is the way to go, it's a bit of an annoying system but brings the cost down to peanuts.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

If your budget permits, and if you prefer a little comfort after the exhausting cruise-----In August I'm using Just Airports...driver & Estate Car for 119 GBP

justairports@btinternet.com

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

We have just returned from a cruise and used DJC Private Hire - a luxury van easily accommodated 5 people and all our luggage. Their staff were great and even arranged a stopover at Winchester and then a visit to the Jane Austin museum on the way to Heathrow. They're a small company - we found them after searching tripadvisor. Here's their link:

http://www.djcprivatehire.co.uk/

Edited: 18 June 2011, 06:26
Kent
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

We recently used London Cruise Transfers to travel to Southamton to meet The Independance of the Seas and found them really efficient , we had a large minivan which took 6 of us no problem. The price was good too. http://www.londoncruisetransfers.co.uk

Edited: 08 June 2012, 17:58
Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cruise transfer from London to Southampton

What we need are quotes for 4 transfers.

(1) Heathrow to our central London hotel,

then 2 days later,

(2) hotel to Southampton, Independence of the Seas (IOS)

return,

(3) IOS to hotel and then back to

(4) Heathrow the next day.

Any suggestions on transfer companies that you can recommend?