We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

We're shopping for a day-trip tour company to take us from London to see Stonehedge and Bath, and maybe Windsor Castle. The tours I see are in big coach buses that take 50 people or more. Does anyone know of a tour company that takes a small number of people? BTW, we will be in London in early May.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
136 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

Check out international tours. We are planning to use them in May.

Manhattan, KS
Level Contributor
109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

I've got a day tour booked in June with Windsor Day Tours. They might be a possibility for you to use.

http://www.windsordaytours.co.uk/

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

Check out International Friends tours. They have a max of 16 people per tour. We are booked with them in May.

internationalfriends.co.uk/london-internatio…

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

The only Stonehenge and Bath small group tour that runs from London is run by International Friends, but it only runs on Saturdays using 16 seat buses for 54 GBP. This includes admissions worth about 16 GBP.

People like Windsor tours mentioned above are private tours in cars where you'll pay something like 350 GBP before admissions.

Anderson Tours and Premium Tours both do full size bus tours daily Stonehenge and Bath for 6-15 GBP less than International Friends.

You might want to consider doing ths part independently.

Get a day return train ticket to Bath from London Paddington and then get an afternoon minibus tour from Bath to Stonehenge and back with Mad Max or Scarpa Tours (Mad Max use slightly smaller buses)

Most of the attractions at Bath are open into the evening and trains back to London leave quite deep into the night.

The free mayors walking tours of Bath from the Roman Baths each morning are very good, in my opinion superior to the commercial alternatives.

I wouldn't advise the Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge tours , see a typical itinerary below which only gives you a fleeting glimpse of Bath. (The small group International Friends tour is even tighter)

Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath:

Depart Victoria at 8.30am.

Enter Windsor Castle as it opens at 9.45am

Depart Windsor at 11.45am; arrive for lunch at 1pm; depart 1.45pm.

Arrive Stonehenge at 2.pm;

depart Stonehenge at 2.50pm.

Arrive Bath - 3.50pm; Roman Baths the Roman Baths starts at 4.40pm until 6pm; depart for London returning at approx 8.30pm.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

A quick look at the Windsor Day Tours website reveals prices that are much lower than handfordr mentions. Tours seem to begin at £40; the highest priced non-customized tour is "Llama special" at £95. Definitely worth checking out.

Full disclosure: I am acquainted with the business owner. Before she began her business, she arranged a special Stonehenge access tour for me, and we also toured Salisbury Cathedral and enjoyed a pub lunch in Salisbury. Lovely day!

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

Hi, I just booked a tour with Pat Shelley with inside access to Stonehenge. The tour is only available on certain days and he has a limit of 12. It is in the late afternoon. If the days you want is not available contact him anyway. The day I wanted was max out at first but he was able to get us in still.

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
302 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

I am interested in this tour, but who is Pat Shelly and how do I contact him/her.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

Windsor Day Tours do not include admission fees to Windsor or Hampton Court Palace. The price paid is for being transported from place to place.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

Time to edit expired!

In addition, the pick up point for Windsor Day Tours is outside London--Farnborough.

So you must pay your own way to get out of London, and pay all admission costs.

New York
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Know of a day-tour that takes only a small number of people?

Pat Shelley is the tour guide that we book for special access to inside the circle. Below is the website. He has also recieve many positive review on TA. If his tour is closed, you can email him. He might be able still get you in.

salisburyguidedtours.com/stonehenge-special-…