We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

We will be in Belgium to see our grandsons and kids. On the second week, July 30th, my mom will fly in. She will see her great grandsons. This is so special to her. My husband and I will take her to London and Paris. we are allowing 5 nights as we want to be with the grandkids before flying back. This is an emense trip and need help putting together going from Brussells to London and than Paris. Does anyone suggest a travel person to help book hotels, tours, transportation?

I need a good location to get transportation to sights(bus, etc). Suggestions as to what not to miss in these cities. We would even love a B & B. This is the first trip I have not been able to fully plan myself and our son has only been in Belgium a few months and is so busy. Thanks for any help. Steve and Shari

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

Mostly people on here book independantly that's why they ask advice. If I were you I'd just go to a travel agent local to you rather than trying to deal with on in Europe.

You can easily get from Brussels to London then to Paris via the Eurostar train which you can book yourself. From Paris to Brussels the Thalys is the train you need.

Don't even think about flying between these cities as the train is far more comfortable. faster a convenient than air travel. It also delivers you to the heart of the city so no airport transferes to worry about.

Paris and London are very large cities with great transport systems. There are no real "central" points in either which are close to everything. Maybe the Marriot or the Premier Inn by County Hall in London are as central as any other but you will get better advice if you post back with your budget per night and post also on the Paris Forum.

London & Paris are two of the world's great cities so seing both in 5 days is a tall order to be honest but if that is all the time you will have then so be it.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

Others will tell you about B&Bs etc-being a local, I've never needed to stay in a hotel in London!

However, my mum is nearly 80 and the last time I went on tube train with her it was very difficult-the tube is busy, crowded ( especially during the rush hours), hot in the summer months ( no, it doesn't have air con) and there are often steps to negotiate.So, you will be using taxis and maybe buses a lot, I would guess.Taxis can be expensive, so factor that in.The HOHO bus would be a good idea-you get a cruise down the river as part of the tour with them. Likewise in Paris-even more walking than London, in my experience!

My mum liked the tour of Buckingham Palace, enjoys musicals ( how about Wizard of Oz, Phantom, Les Mis, Blood Brothers). Have a nice time.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,164 Reviews
London, UK
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

Do you think there is somewhere I can rent a wheelchair? Are there tours designed for seniors or handicapped? there is no talking my mom out of this trip and I am having a trying to make the right decisions so she can enjoy. We will want to see the highlights. I hope I can put it together as I know we are in high season. The only time my son had open. I will look at the Eurostar, but getting from there to our hotel? Thank you for feedback. Shari

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

http://www.london-wheelchair-rental.com/

www.newdisability.com/wheelchairrental.htm

http://www.directmobility.co.uk/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

Thank you, thank you very much! Shari

NYC
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

Last December, I took my 84 year old mother to London for 8 nights. We had not been to London in ages (my mother's a Londoner, I lived there much of my childhood). I had no idea how even to start planning this trip. Once the dates were set & flights booked, I offered 10 hotels, everyone of which my mother rejected as "too far from everything"(!)-so I chose one, assisted by TA reviews, & booked it. I pre-booked private car transfers. The hotel was perfect-The Langham-comfortable (ah, those beds), welcoming, very conveniently located 5 minutes to Oxford/Regent Streets. We bought 7-day 1 & 2 zone Oyster travel cards, Top 10 London Guide (before trip to help plan outings). I picked up bus & underground maps & studied them. We found the buses terrific - easy to get on/off & took us to most of our destinations with minimum hassle; the underground was not so bad (just slowly up & down the stairs, avoid rush hour). We had wretched weather (cold, snow) but were able to walk a lot, too. We took taxis only twice- to a theater (because we were late) & train station for early departure. The hotel concierge booked our shows (we gave him a list & available nights, & he sorted out everything) & the Eurostar tickets for a day trip to Paris. We had already done many touristy things but enjoyed The Museum of London, both Tates, Wallace Collection; we tried the changing of the guard but too cold, crowded, & a lot of standing around; the shows (War Horse-I pre-booked on line; Priscilla; Dirty Dancing; Yes, Prime Minister, Michael Bourne's Cinderella); afternoon tea at Brown's Hotel (where my parents had their wedding reception); shopping (in particular, Liberty, Selfridges, Marks & Spencer); pubs, & fish & chips. Other recommended highlights would include St. Paul's, Tower (Beefeater tour is fun; those jewels!), Buckingham Palace; day trip on Thames to Greenwich/Hampton Court, or day-trip by coach outside London. I've always enjoyed the exhibits at Kensington Palace & find Churchill's War Rooms fascinating. If you're there for the Proms (concerts) @ Royal Albert Hall, go! If your mom likes Shakespeare, book for a play @ the Globe. After a huge breakfast at the hotel, we were out the door by 10 AM; made frequent "pit stops": coffee (AM) & tea (PM) breaks; kept sherry & snacks in the room for when we returned between 4 & 6 PM; had a light meal near theater or in hotel; drink at pub in evening; or, thanks to M&S Simply Food (in or near most major train/underground stations), something back in the room, which also had electric kettle for tea/coffee. TIPS: take the easiest options-(1/2-day) guided coach tour to get a lay of the land (lots of stuff is see-able from coach-London Bridge, Big Ben); use the concierge services; taxi if you need to; lots of breaks; be flexible, don't over plan but have a general list, & do what mom wants to do (it's her trip!). Most of all have fun. My mother & I hadn't spent this much time together in years & had a great & memorable trip. London never looked more beautiful. And we're coming back in May!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The Langham, London
The Langham, London
823 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Regent's Park
Regent's Park
5,563 Reviews
London, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Museum of London
Museum of London
5,085 Reviews
London, UK
Wallace Collection
Wallace Collection
5,824 Reviews
London, UK
War Horse
War Horse
5,399 Reviews
London, UK
Brown's Hotel
Brown's Hotel
1,523 Reviews
London, UK
Liberty London
Liberty London
1,097 Reviews
London, UK
Selfridges
Selfridges
1,662 Reviews
London, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
557 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,164 Reviews
London, UK
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,455 Reviews
London, UK
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo
Hampton by Hilton London...
3,184 Reviews
London, UK
Kensington Palace
Kensington Palace
4,415 Reviews
London, UK
Royal Albert Hall
Royal Albert Hall
7,818 Reviews
London, UK
Shakespeare Hotel
Shakespeare Hotel
919 Reviews
London, UK
London Bridge
London Bridge
299 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,206 Reviews
London, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

Nice write up PassTheWOrd but PLEASE paragraphs next time :-)

8. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 18:05
9. Re: Taking mom at 84 to London and Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 02:18