We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tower of London in the afternoon?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tower of London in the afternoon?

I posted a lengthy questions earlier this morning, but here's the crux of my inquiry: Does anyone have experience visiting the Tower of London in the afternoon? We will be there on a weekday in mid-May.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

I'm sorry - the point of that question was, is it likely to be terribly crowded in the afternoon at that time of year? Or better to try to see first thing when it opens? Thanks.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

The last time I visited was early afternoon, not having yet been made aware of the Internet Travel Forums rule that one MUST go at opening time, MUST rush to see the Crown Jewels and MUST then take the guided tour. We did not find it particularly crowded and got to see what we wanted to see.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, Maybe nobody goes there in the afternoon anymore because it's too crowded.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

LOL at the previous post!

I think the only time it will seem crowded is when people are waiting in a clump for the Yeoman Warden to take them on a tour--very worthwhile by the way.

Afternoon should be juts fine.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,633 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

I have now read your previous post, and wish to amend my response.

You are traveling into London both days from Winchester, and hope to do a great deal each day. There are two of you, and as far as I can tell, your train fares for two days to London and back will run 113 GBP each day, or 226 GBP. You will also spend a minimum of 2 hours on the train each day, not counting time getting to the stations, waiting for the train, etc.

May I suggest that you go into London, visit your first days choices, and then stay in London, returning to Winchester after day two's outings? You might not save money this way, but you'd certainly spend less time on the train, and maximize your time in London.

Just a thought.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 19:56
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

We went to the Tower of London in the late afternoon, in time to catch the last Yeoman Warder tour at 3:30pm, and it was great. We had a lot of the Tower to ourselves, especially the Crown Jewels. There was no lines, and we were able to go back and see them multiple times.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
549 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

Thank you, Ron, for the chuckle! I had wondered about that myself... if everyone goes first thing to beat the crowds, doesn't that result in mornings being more crowded?

And thanks Laura and music girl for also easing my mind about visiting in the afternoon.

Laura - you make good points about commuting from Winchester. Our rationale was that we found excellent value in accommodation in Winchester, and will be there before and after London, so hated to relocate - along with our luggage - for one or two nights. We are considering getting a 3 day BritRail pass for $145, since we'd like to day trip somewhere else from Winchester in addition to London. That would reduce transportation costs a little. The following week we are renting a car to explore the countryside, but plan to be car-free the first week.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

I was at Tower of London last Saturday and we went there at 10.30 in morning. There was not a huge crowd and we headed for the Crown Jewels. We did not join the tour as my friend did not want to be in a group. She wanted to spend more time at each place. We both had been there as teenagers but this time it was so much more enjoyable. There was a small queue at the Crown Jewels and after twelve the crowd increased.

I think the people who do the research on Tripadvisor go early but most tourists who have not done research and the younger generation who start the day late come in the afternoon.

8. Re: Tower of London in the afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:19