We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plain English food.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Plain English food.

Does anyone know of any nice, not expensive (£15 for 2 course) restaurants in the Covent Garden or Leicester Square area which serves plain English food. I am visiting London in June with my Mother who is fussy with what she eats. Normally we always end up in Garfunkels which i'm fed up with now. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plain English food.

The Stockpot in Panton Street offers what might be considered school food, right down to custard with most puddings. It's not fancy but well within your budget and not bad for something filling and reasonably tasty.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plain English food.

Porters is in Covent Garden (but might be ruled out by your budget)

http://www.porters.uk.com/

(but it does have a 2 course pre theatre menu for £14 per head, so perhaps it just scrapes in after all!!)

Edited: 12 April 2011, 19:24
UK
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plain English food.

For £16.55 The Crusting Pipe in Covent Garden serve a soup of the day with crusty bread followed by sliced ham, boiled potatoes and salad.

http://www.crustingpipe.co.uk/

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plain English food.

Cheers thanks, just the type of place I'm looking for.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Plain English food.

Porters have big servings and several choices for about £16 for main and dessert.

Though when in Covent Garden, if you fancy a home made pie in a basic but traditional and friendly pub, try the cross keys in Endell Street, my last steak & Ale pie there came with chips and veg, it was excellent and just

£5.95. They'll serve up a plain old Ploughmans too I should think. Pubs often a good option.

Stoofer

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plain English food.

In Bistro1 you could both have 2 courses for less than £15

www.bistro1.co.uk

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
400 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plain English food.

Print your voucher for 20% discount for the Porters restaurant here: http://www.smartsave.com/uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Plain English food.

There are a lot of brasserie type places round there that would do fish and chips / steak or plain grills if that's the kind of thing you're after, and also do some more 'interesting' dishes for you. Some places to look up off the top of my head are:

Henry's

Browns - St Martin's lane

Maxwell's - opposite covent garden tube

PJs

Cote

Boulevard Brasserie

Most of these will have pre-theatre menus in your price range, and all much better than garfunkels in my opinion!

Also there's the Loch Fyne restaurant if your mother likes fish? Although that might be a little over budget, not sure of the prices.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plain English food.

thanks for all your answers, very good.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plain English food.

West End Kitchen is across the street from Stockpot on Panton and has a similar prix fixe menu (2-3 courses for a small sum) so I usually go and check out both menus and see which one has the selections I like better.