We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon tea: cost and dress

austin, texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Afternoon tea: cost and dress

Looking for a place near Covent Garden to have afternoon tea with 14 year old son, and would like recommendations for a place that won't break the bank and where he can where blue jeans as I don't plan to bring slacks for him. Thanks!

Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Gardens
Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
426 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon tea: cost and dress

You might try Johnston's Brasserie (12,95 pounds, 2 Burleigh Street) or Kingsway Hall (14,50 pounds, 66 Great Queen Street). They are on our list for our next trip to London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon tea: cost and dress

The restaurants in both the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery are worth a look.

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
426 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon tea: cost and dress

I have had afternoon tea in The National Dinings Rooms which is the restaurant of the National Gallery. It was 17,50 pounds if I remember it well. It was very nice. You get the silver three-tier cake stand. Nice atmosphere.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon tea: cost and dress

thanks,, all. Will blue jeans be okay? Do I need to prebook for a Sunday in June?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon tea: cost and dress

Jeans are fine for all of these places. The only dress code is if you go to a very smart hotel for a traditional tea (something that, in my experience a 14 year old boy would not enjoy).

I doubt that you would need to book for any of these suggestions.

Sorry- I just noticed that The Kingsway is included. I don't know if there is a dress code there, but I doubt it.

Edited: 13 April 2011, 17:46
6. Re: Afternoon tea: cost and dress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 11:16