We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice abt are

Milan, Italy
2 posts
Save Topic
advice abt are

hi, i'm going to london for a week next august, I've lived there in the past but always in w2/w10 areas. Now i'm curious abt E2 area and would like to stay in Bethnal green, we are 4 friends. Is that dangerous ? is it true that the area is becoming bohemien and artistic ? tks

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice abt are

Great area, very central.

I don't think it is particularly dangerous. As you know, London is one of the safest large cities in the world with the exception of a very few areas.

Bethnal Green is not one of those.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 11:35
Niedrrhein
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice abt are

Hi luvlon,

East London is really a nice area now, becoming more "bohemian and artistic".

Bethnal Green is an area with mixed ethnics. It is as dangerous as any metropolitan area. The population consists of a high percentage of Bangladeshi, Pakistani and african people. I live near Bethnal Green and so far have never experienced any threat other then some drunkards (whites) and some youngsters commenting any passing female (something we did when we used to be kids as well, didn't we?).

There are a bunch of nice venues in the area around Bricklane (E1) and Spitalfields. From art cafés over ethnic restaurants, to galleries and clubs.

WE used to go out in West London in the early 2000s' but meanwhile we prefer to stay in our area as it is so lively and vibrant.

Did you plan on a place to stay already? If not, you might consider a hotel near one of the DLR Stations for additional good access to the Docklands, which are well worth a visit as well.

For more Information what's up, you can visit the time out website

http://www.timeout.com/london/

and

officiallondontheatre.co.uk/news/…

which starts 4th August

and one here at TA:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k13505…

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice abt are

Bethnal Green is not one of the areas in East London becoming bohemian and artistic. In fact it still looks to be the dump it was 20 years ago.

Bethnal Green is not dangerous. The Krays may not live there any more, but it is not an area I would recommend.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 12:24
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice abt are

North of Bethnal Green, though, is London Fields, which is becoming rather arty. It may be that you have heard about.

Milan, Italy
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice abt are

hi then i've seen different opinions . which cheap area would you reccomend mr cellophane? w2 is so expensive especially during carnival. I'd like to see something different but not so far from center surely in zone 1-2 I thought of Bethnal green cause I've found a room in a guest house quite cheap with kitchen to share to save money on food

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice abt are

If you like the guest house (and have checked some reviews) there is no need to be put off because it's in Bethnal Green. It's not dangerous, just a bit run-down looking in places, and it's fairly convenient for central London. If you're on a tight budget it could be an option for you.

Edited: 17 April 2011, 15:20
7. Re: advice abt are

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 04:16