We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doctor Who Experience

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Doctor Who Experience

We leave for London in five weeks and are trying to get our itinerary sorted.

Have any of you been to the Doctor Who Experience at the Olympia? How much time should we allow for this? My husband is a native of Northern Ireland, grew up watching the show, and is a true "Who-Aholic" lol... We know the live bit is 30 minutes - how much time would it reasonably take in the exhibition?

And what is the best way to get to the exhibition? We are thinking of doing this the day we arrive (our flight lands at 7am Heathrow). Our hotel is Luna and Simone and we plan to take the tube to Victoria. I am thinking drop the bags at the hotel, get a bite to eat, then head over to the Olympia on the District Line from Victoria - is this correct? How long would that tube journey be and which station do we get off at?

And lastly - would it be possible to attend the exhibition and get back to Westminster Abbey for Sunday evensong? And if so what is the best way to get back to the Abbey?

Thanks in Advance.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doctor Who Experience

I have not been to the Doctor Who Experience. Their website has the information you need.

"How long will the visit take?

"Please allow up to 1.5 hours for your visit. The interactive element will take 30 minutes and the free-flow exhibition can take up to an hour." http://www.doctorwhoexperience.com/faq/

Travel information is available from the same link or use http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ The advance search using your travel date will warn of tube closures.

Edited: 16 April 2011, 16:34
West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doctor Who Experience

Thank you.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doctor Who Experience

The Olympia section of the District Line doesn't have frequent trains, so it would probably be quicker to take a District Line train to Hammersmith. Then go to Hammersmith Bus Station, which is directly above Hammersmith underground station and take a number 9, number 10 or number 27 bus back into London, which will go past the exhibition in under 5 minutes; or else walk from the bus station to the exhibition (under 10 minutes).

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
87 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doctor Who Experience

Have you bought tickets yet? We're going at the beginning of June and have bought our tickets already. It sounds like you want to do it on a Sunday morning. I'm not sure but the weekends might be busier than weekdays, so you might want to look at buying your tickets in advance. Just a suggestion ... i've been following thier Tweets and they seem to be crowded all the time (although, that could be just hype)

london
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doctor Who Experience

I haven't been to the current Doctor Who Experience, but I went to the last one with my doctor-mad daughter ... I think we spent 3 hours in there but she wanted to study absolutely everything and spent a fair bit of time in the gift shop ... she's nagging to go to the new one but I'm putting if off a bit

as to whether you could make it back to Westminster Abbey, it depends what time tickets you get (do you realise when you buy tickets they are for a specific time, so that the exhibition doesn't get too crowded) ... if your tickets for Dr Who are early enough in the day it shouldn't be a problem

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doctor Who Experience

Yes, we know the tickets are for a specific time. As such, we won't purchase them in advance because even the best laid plans have a way of falling down :p. Our flight could be late coming in; there could be long lines at immigration; etc.

If we are able to be at the exhibition by 12 noon, I think we might be OK. What would be the best route back to the Abbey for 3 pm Evensong?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doctor Who Experience

Personally, I'd go to the bus stop outside the Dr Who Experience and take a number 9 bus from there to Green Park station and walk through the park to Westminster Abbey. On route, the number 9 passes near to Kensington Palace, Harrods, the Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
599 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doctor Who Experience

Thank you to everyone for the help!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,014 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Doctor Who Experience

Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) died yesterday.

England
Level Contributor
53 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doctor Who Experience

I am looking at the silver ticket package - do we know if this is good value? For example, what is the free 'gift item' that is included?