We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

Well as luck would have it I managed to get tickets to both activities on the same evening ( Saturday, April 30th). The BBC show taping starts at 7pm and the Ceremony of Keys starts at 9:30pm. What are my chances of doing both activities. So is it unrealistic to get a train from the BBC Studio at Wood Lane, Shepard’s Bush, London W12 7RJ (nearest tube stations are White City and Wood Lane) to Tower of London in 30 – 40 minutes?

I don’t think I will be able to trade my Ceremony of Keys tickets for a later date. If so, how do I go about doing this? I am so disappointed but elated with both opportunities. I need your advise…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

Unfortunately I don't think you can make both - the Circle line is closed completely (for Tower Hill), the District and Metropolitan lines are part closed and you are quite a way west meaning Central line to Bank and then bus for which you'd need to leave an hour (including getting to and from tube/bus stop).

How likely is it that the BBC show would finish or you could sneak out by 8.30 latest?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

Well, I will try and find out how long the show runs- if all else I will sneak out at 8:30pm. So you think I will need at least an hour to make it to Tower Hill?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

I do - the Circle line if it were running on 30 April, would be 38 minutes according to TFL. And you need some time to get to the station/wait for a train/get out and get to the ToL which would add another 10-15 minutes.

Because you will have to find another route (as suggested - central line + no 15 bus) this will add some time. So about an hour would be necessary. I've no idea how 'tolerant' the warders are of latecomers. It is a Tower!

Edited: 18 April 2011, 18:25
Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

parklandwalk, ok thanks for the advice and I will plan accordingly. Hopefully we will get out no less than an hour early to make it down to the Tower. Thanks again.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

No problem - hope you have a great time at both!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

The warders are "zero tolerant" of latecomers.

You can't trade the tickets for a later date but is it too late to cancel them and just reapply for new ones on a later date? If you definitely can't go to the Tower, please do let them know so that they can send tickets to other people instead.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

Ask yourself which is the event you will remember for the rest of your life. I have been to recordings of several TV shows and also to the Ceremony of the Keys. I can assure you that every movement of the Ceremony of the Keys and the atmosphere is seared in my mind. On the other hand the recordings have just become a jumbled mixture of TV studio activity.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

It is quite possible that filming for SYTYCD won't have finished by 8.30 pm or even later - just because it's a 1 hr broadcast show doesn't mean that filming will run to time.

Sneaking out probably won't be allowed. If it's live you would need to check what time it is being broadcast - TV schedules aren't usually released more than 10 days ahead - and even then you might not get let out promptly at the end.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

After hearing from all of you this is definitely a tough call. The reason why SYTYCD will be a big deal is for my 15 yr old niece who absolutely loves this show. I, on the other hand would perfer the attend the Ceremony of Keys. I will take the advice of Gly1 and reapply ALTHOUGH I think April and May dates are already booked out for the Ceremony of Keys.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ceremony of Keys vs. BBC Show “So you Think You Can Dance"

Are you guaranteed to get into the TV show recording? Usually the deal with these is that it's first-come, first-served on the day, and they issue many more tickets than they can accommodate people, so people start queueing from stupid o'clock to get in.