We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stanstead airport

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Topic
stanstead airport

Hi,

What would train I need to take to get to harrow and wealdstone. I have oyster cards from a few years ago I think.

what would be the best option for two people return ?

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,333 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stanstead airport

Ok, we're going to need more information to be of use. Most importantly your flight details (day/date/time of arrival and departure), and also your budget for transport to and from Stansted.

Harrow & Wealdstone is to the north west of London out in zone 5. Stansted Airport is 48km/30mi north east of London and way way outside the Oyster travel zones, and you'll need to buy separate tickets to get from Stansted to London. So the first thing to determine is how to do that.

Your options are Express train for about £26-30 return (each), Coach to Liverpool Street or Victoria for £14 return (each), or EasyBus to Baker Street for anything from £2-8 each one way.

http://www.stanstedexpress.com

terravision.eu/stansted_price_timetable.html

http://www.easybus.co.uk/london-stansted

You can get to H&W by train from Euston (a half hourly non-stop takes 12 min and the Overground stopping service takes about 30 min). Some tube services on the Bakerloo line go there in about 35 mins, and if not you can switch to the Overground at Queens Park. H&W is in zone 5 so youll be able to use Oyster for that journey.

But the first thing to do is decide that airport transfer. Once we know that we can help further with the trip to H&W.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 04:19
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stanstead airport

Stansted is well outside the TfL zones, so using Oyster will work for only part of the journey.

It's a convoluted journey by public transport, whether you travel by rail or coach. The coach journey takes about three and a quarter hours from Stansted to Heathrow airport then to Watford Junction, from which you may take the Overground train to Harrow & Wealdstone. Single fare is £30.

The rail journey will have you take Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, change there for the Victoria line of the Underground to Euston and from Euston take the Overground to Harrow & Wealdstone. Single fare is £26.80 with travel time about an hour and 40 minutes.

A car service might be an easier choice; fare should be £50 - 60 (depending on your destination in Harrow) for a saloon car for two people. Have a look at www.justairports.com or www.unitedairportscars.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stanstead airport

I agree with TP that as there are two of you then the best and easiest option is to take a car. I have lived near Harrow and all the journeys are bit complicated to Stansted.

4. Re: stanstead airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 00:20