We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet access while in London?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Internet access while in London?

whistlingdixie asked about phone books, and it was mentioned about Internet cafes. How available are these and is the £1 per minute the usual rate? When we were in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick this summer Canada had free internet access at tourist info centers and of course free internet access at the public libraries, that is where we usually go to read email when we are on vacation. Are there any centers or places like this in London?

London
Level Contributor
392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet access while in London?

There are quite a few easyinternet cafes around central London (Tottenham Court Road, Charing Cross, Oxford St) and they tend to have cheap access. You can either pay for a 1, 2 hour pass etc - the price of which depends on time of day and I think busy-ness, or you can get 24 hr passes etc.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet access while in London?

I used a place recently, Easy Internet Cafe, look for the orange signs, and was charged L1 for 30 minutes which can be used over a period of time, think it was 2 days

http://www.easyeverything.com/news/index.html

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet access while in London?

I always go to the Easy Internet Cafes in London, too. They're located in popular areas and there are always lots of machines to choose from.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet access while in London?

Yes, most public libraries in the UK offer free internet access these days, to visitors and to their members. Internet cafes in Central London are quite reasonable, I paid 1GBPound for an hour in one near Covent Garden last month. Certainly not 1 pound per minute, they would be out of business if they were that expensive!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet access while in London?

The EasyInternet place is just off Trafalgar Square, in the Strand, on the left as you go into the Strand from T. Square. Look for the big orange notices. Yes, you can use your timed pass over a few days there if you wish.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet access while in London?

£1 per minute - what was I thinking??

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet access while in London?

Easy Internet Cafes charge an average of about £2 per hour, normally with a minimum charge of £1. No printing, no help staff and no toilets, but access is normally fast.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,356 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet access while in London?

A lot of the easyInternet cafes are in fast food places, mostly McDonald's, but the occasional BK as well.

You need to pay up front, get a numbered ticket, then change it into time at a computer station. If all the stations are taken, you'll not be able to buy time, even for use in an hour or two. The hourly rate goes up as the number of computers are in use, as well.

If you're going to be in London for several days, you can buy a seven day pass for £10 (as of last July), good for unlimited use at the cafe where the pass was purchased - no cafe to cafe use. If you need a few minutes online and aren't near a cafe, a lot of public phones have small keyboards and very pricey (about 10p a minute) access available.

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet access while in London?

When in London I use an internet cafe right near the Tottenham Court tube stations.I can't think of of the name of the place. It's right next to a comic book store and the fee is 1 pound for up to 2 hours of internet surfing.

As the others have said there are alot of other internet cafes around central London so it woulnd't be a problem finding one.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet access while in London?

We spent 20p to print a page at an internet cafe, so it can be done.