We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area are we in

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What area are we in

ok....still trying to find out where we are and how to get to the areas we want to visit...We are staying at the IBIS Earl London Court. we want to be able to access soho...and and and...different areas. what area do they consider earls court??? and how easy is it to get around for sight seeing and just plain ole enjoying the markets etc..

Mentioned in this post
London Court Hotel
London Court Hotel
203 Reviews
London, UK
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area are we in

ps...we do have a hoho pass for a day....what can we do with that..group of 4 ladies wanting to see it all..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area are we in

The Ibis in Lillie Road could be considered Earl's Court only by a generous use of the phrase; it's not quite Fulham and not really West Kensington so let's call it Earl's Court.

None of the hop on hop off buses call in the immediate area of your hotel. The Original Tour's Blue Route buses make a stop at Gloucester Road station but you will have better luck with the hop on hop off services near Victoria station or near stop M at the V&A, where buses from both hop on hop off companies call. tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…southkensington-2236.pdf Both hop on hop off companies' buses call at the bus stops at Hyde Park Corner and Green Park Underground stations as well.

The Ibis is near stop BC in this link: tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/… The 74 travels along Warwick Road on its way towards central London and makes the return journey along Earl's Court Road as seen here: tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…earlscourt-2070.pdf

You can walk from Piccadilly Circus or Leicester Square stations to Soho; the Piccadilly line from Earl's Court will take you to both of those stations. tfl.gov.uk/assets/…standard-tube-map.pdf

If you want to use the two for one offers you'll need to buy Travelcards (with a six day stay in London seven day cards will be a very good choice; £27.60 for zones 1 and 2) at a rail ticket office. The hop on hop off buses should call near Victoria and Charing Cross stations, where you can buy the correct Travelcards and not have to make a separate journey to do so.

Travelcards will give you unlimited use of the Underground, DLR, Overground and National Rail services in the paid-for zones plus bus use in all zones. You may use the Travelcards at any time of day or night during the period of validity, as much as you wish. Zones 1 - 2 cards can be used for stations at the boundary of zones 2 and 3 so your journeys may take you to Greenwich if you wish.

Where besdes Soho would you like to go?

Mentioned in this post
Earl's Court
Earl's Court
173 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,184 Reviews
London, UK
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cotswolds, UK
Victoria Station Hotel
Victoria Station Hotel
396 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,273 Reviews
London, UK
Green Park
Green Park
1,082 Reviews
London, UK
Warwick
Warwick
Warwickshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Piccadilly Circus
Piccadilly Circus
4,973 Reviews
London, UK
Leicester Square
Leicester Square
1,551 Reviews
London, UK
Soho
Soho
1,371 Reviews
London, UK
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,455 Reviews
London, UK
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area are we in

we are hoping to see it all...lol, but here are some things we would like to see

Tower of London, London Eye, Zoo, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Portebello Rd market, Comedy store, Abbey Rd, Westminister Abbey,

which of these will be easy to see on the HOHO, and which should be planned seperatly.

thanks for any advice you might have on this

Mentioned in this post
Tower of London
Tower of London
53,461 Reviews
London, UK
Coca-Cola London Eye
Coca-Cola London Eye
71,569 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,159 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,206 Reviews
London, UK
Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge
30,148 Reviews
London, UK
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,759 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area are we in

Hi,

From the HOHO you will see all of that apart from the Zoo, Portobello Mkt/Rd, Comedy Store and Abbey Rd.

The zoo I'd do on a different day, if you really feel the need to visit (I just found it all a bit 'sad' when I went a couple of years ago). But maybe you could add that onto Portobello Road or Abbey Road, with a bit of to-ing and fro-ing on the underground.

How many days do you have?

The ToL / Westminster Abbey / St Paul's Cathedral (I know - you didn't mention that one, LOL!) need at least a couple of hours each, if not longer.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Abbey Road
Abbey Road
1,353 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
19,012 Reviews
London, UK
St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Paul's Cathedral
13,433 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What area are we in

Hi Lors,

You are covering a lot of ground in a week. London is quite spread out and very busy. When I used to visit as a Haligonian I found it very overwhelming. The tourist areas are some of the busiest (with lots of queuing) and I ended up not really liking London much.

Once I learned to treat each area as a village, going to that part of town and enjoying it at a slower pace I really started to enjoy London.

If you take the tube calculate 2 minutes per stop, add 5 minutes for a change and a couple minutes for entering/exiting the station to get your journey time.

I now live here and love it (I've come a long way). So my recommendation to you is pick one area and see a couple major sites a day (say Tower of London Tower Bridge are next to each other so there is a day Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and London eye another etc.). Give the hop on hop off bus a whirl the first day or so to get your barrings.

Also some of the markets are on certain days, Portabello is Saturday, Camden Market every day, Spitalfields market main day is Sunday. etc.

hope that helps!

www.bluenosegirl.com

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
53,461 Reviews
London, UK
London Tower Bridge Apartments
London Tower Bridge...
82 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,159 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,206 Reviews
London, UK
Coca-Cola London Eye
Coca-Cola London Eye
71,569 Reviews
London, UK
Camden Market
Camden Market
24,247 Reviews
London, UK
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area are we in

wow...thanks so much bluenose...

that makes a lot of sense... we will be there from the 6th to the 13th. So in saying that, it also does not seem so overwhelming.

How long have you been living in London? Do you find you miss NS...

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area are we in

If you do the HOHO bus, stay on the bus for the complete circuit to orient yourselves and see the major sights from the bus. Then go back, on foot or using public transport, to see the things you want to see in more depth. If you try to do this on the HOHO bus, you will spend a lot of time waiting for a bus and/or sitting in traffic. One option, if you are up for some walking, would be to start at Buckingham Palace. View it from the outside (you don't say when you are going but the palace isn't open to visitors until later in the summer) and walk either down The Mall or through St. James Park to Horse Guards Parade. Cut through here and view the mounted sentries at their posts on Whitehall. (If you wish, you can visit the War Rooms as they are right here; takes a couple of hours.) Turn down Whitehall toward Westminster Abbey; tour that or view from outside. See Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Walk across Westminster Bridge; see or ride the London Eye. Walk along the river toward Waterloo Bridge. Walk up the steps and across Waterloo Bridge; great views of St. Paul's. Cross the Strand and walk up the hill to Covent Garden. There are places to stop and have a drink or a rest; lots of benches along the South Bank of the river; makes a great walk and you see a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,159 Reviews
London, UK
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,345 Reviews
London, UK
Horse Guards Parade at Whitehall
Horse Guards Parade at...
848 Reviews
London, UK
Whitehall
Whitehall
207 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
19,012 Reviews
London, UK
Houses of Parliament
Houses of Parliament
14,336 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,206 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Bridge
Westminster Bridge
698 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bridge
Waterloo Bridge
170 Reviews
London, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
557 Reviews
London, UK
South Bank
South Bank
1,481 Reviews
London, UK
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area are we in

Thanks for the info gilliganuk

we will be in London for 6 full days. So what would be the best way to get to portebllo market, from London Earl Ibis hotel? As well as seeing abbey and the comedy shop. Also of course westminister abbey and St Pauls cathereral??

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
557 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What area are we in

I don't miss the winters (or lack of spring!). I do miss spur of the moment hoping in my car and meeting up with friends because they are only 10/15 minute drive away. I miss rainbowhaven beach too :)

London has so much to offer though and though I've been here 4 years I still feel there is so much to see and do. I find I don't get itchy feet as much because there is so much to do here.

It's not far from your hotel to Portabello road, take the District Line (green) to Notting Hill gate (check the front of the train, you are looking for a train via Edgeware Road (or go to Earl's court, they all go there and change to the Edgeware road train). It's easier than it sounds when you are there.

Westminster/Big Ben and the London eye are all nearest Westminster Station (also on the district line, look for trains heading to Upminster).

St Paul's would require a change for you, it is at St Paul's station on the Central line (red). Or if you are doing the hop on/off bus might be an good one to get off at for that one.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
Notting Hill Gate Hotel
524 Reviews
London, UK
Earl's Court
Earl's Court
173 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,309 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,206 Reviews
London, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
557 Reviews
London, UK
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,583 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What area are we in

I really think it would be helpful to you to get a good guidebook (perhaps more than one as there is a group of you). While people here can help with specific enquiries, a guidebook would give you an overview of things to do and information about the different areas, transport, etc, as well as useful maps. You can have hours of fun reading it before you come, and a place always seems that little bit more familiar when you have some background.