We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

I'll be arriving with one smallish suitcase on rollers and a carry-on. What is the least awkward connection to the Central Line (Bethnal Green) from Paddington?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,078 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

Walk down to Lancaster Gate and get onto the Central Line there - about a 10 minute walk.

BUT where are you before Paddington?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

From Heathrow 3. I was thinking of buying the half-price sale ticket on Heathrow Express.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

Paddington is out of the way for Bethnal Green. An easier way to make the journey would be to take the Piccadilly line of the Underground to Holborn and change there to the Central line.

There are stairs down from the Piccadilly line platform to the escalator for the Central line and stairs up from the ticket hall to street level at Bethnal Green station.

If you do choose to travel to Paddington then take the Central line from Lancaster Gate station there is a lift down from the ticket hall then about 28 steps down to the platform.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

Thanks Travellerplus. If I do go via HE to Paddington, is it more convenient to buy my Oyster Card (with 7 day Travel card on it) at Heathrow or Paddington?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,078 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

Is "I" actually "I" or is it "we"? It also depends on what time you'd reach Paddington.

I still can't see the point of spending all that money on the HEX when you won't reach Bethnal Green any faster than the Tube from LHR

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

I think cheffip will be a solo traveller. In that case, buy a seven day Travelcard at LHR, add a bit of extra PAYG pre-pay and take the Underground from T1,3 (I think you're flying with AC) to central London.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

Sounds good...thanks everyone for your advice.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

or you could take the Heathrow Connect and an easy change at Ealing Broadway onto the Central Line. It is also the start of the line so you will have your pick of seats.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

I do the connection from Paddington to the Central Line often. Did it this Monday as a matter of fact. Come off the train and turn right at the ticket barriers and exit the station by Sainsburys where the taxis are and turn left up to Praed Street. Cross over into Spring Street and then right onto Sussex Gardens. Cross over at the crossing and walk for about 50 yards until you see the Lancaster hotel. Cross the road and head down the right hand side of the hotel and turn left into Bayswater Road and Lancaster Gate station is on your left. Takes about 8 minutes.

Alternatively, take the cheaper Heathorw Connect to Ealing Broadway and pick up the Central Line there.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best transfer point from Paddington to Central Line?

Why has no-one recommended taking the Heathrow Connect (not Heathrow Express) to Ealing Broadway and switching to the central underground line to Bethnal Green.

I would have thought that this would be "the least awkward connection", but what am I overlooking?

Edited: 20 April 2011, 21:58