We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

It's my dad's 60th in July and my husband and I would like to treat him to a top-notch meal in London. He's a real foodie and excellent cook but doesnt eat out that much, but we can't have him cooking on his birthday!

He's very much into his game and meat and is also a big fish and seafood lover. price wise, looking at around £50-£100 a head tops. Any recommendations?

To make matters a bit more complicated my mum and sister are veggie (although they do eat white fish) and a bit fussy (I looked into Heston's new restaurant but there isn't anything on the menu they would be able to eat!)

thanks very much for any help!

LDV

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
683 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

La Gavroche does a lunch menu of 3 courses, half a bottle of wine and half a bottle of water for £50. Not sure if you would get an evening meal there for your budget as the taster menu is £98 with drinks.

Obviously no good at all if you need eveing meal rather then lunch but as a foodie I am sure he would love Michel Roux.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

Le Gavroche would be a wonderful choice but the lunch menu does not include a veggie option

So I suggest you look at gauthier - www.gauthiersoho.co.uk

or rouissillon -- www.rouissillon.co.uk -In Pimlico

portions are small in both restaurants and they both do a great lunch including wine for around 35 pounds each

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,241 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

There are excellent set value lunches at Murano and Koffmans, check them for vegetarian options.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,767 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

Although they are not 'celebrity chef' restaurants, you mention that your Dad loves Game and other meats. Perhaps he would like these 2 famous London Restaurants, which both have the 'air' of Gentlemens Clubs and are total institutions:

1) Rules reportedly the Oldest Restaurant in London and famous for Game particularly:

http://www.rules.co.uk/

2) Simpsons in the Strand, famous for Roast Beef carved for you at the table:

http://www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/

They, but partcularly Simpsons, have been favourites with my Dad (now 81) for years, he likes his hearty food, superbly cooked, and plenty of it!! I like these restaurants too, but they definitely have a more 'masculine' slant.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

Rules sounds exactly what he would love and there are a couple of tasty sounding fish options for the veggies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

I've recently been impressed by North Road, as a foodie I think your father would appreciate it's quite ahead of the game compared to other London restaurants as far as global food trends are moving (lots of local cured and foraged products). They have some interesting-sounding white fish options, as well as a variety of meats. Paid about £60/head including drinks and service charge to eat there so the value is good.

Chez Bruce is another good value/good food restaurant, the portions are quite a lot bigger and the cooking is a bit more classic French-influenced. If your family is into wine they have a really interesting list which is reasonably priced for London.

Most of the high-end restaurants in town will endeavour to knock something up for vegetarians that's not on the menu provided they get enough warning.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,767 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

Looking at the Menus of both Simpsons and Rules, I would hazard a guess that Rules of the 2 would suit better. They do seem to have more fish options and also some truly veggie starters that perhaps could be 'expanded' into a main for a more picky vegitarian (purple sprouting broccoli tart with stilton, perhaps?? That sounds Yum to me!!).

Anyway, the menu's for both restaurants are on their websites (which I have posted) so OP, you can look there and see if they sound OK for you.

Either of them, though are good restaurants for DAD's IMHO!!

And Happy Birthday to Him!

Edited: 27 April 2011, 00:14
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,497 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

I wish one of mine had taken me to Rules for my 60th.

Many happy returns.

9. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 September 2011, 06:54
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurant for 'foodie' dad's 60th

Check out the toptable website, they usually have great dela for top restaurants and they have sample menus.

www.toptable.com