We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London attractions and transportation

canada
13 posts
Save Topic
London attractions and transportation

First time visitor in London for 4 days coming from Canada.

From all great attractions and historical sites which are the "must see" for a first timer ?

Is the London Pass worth the money ? London Pass with Transportation sounds good for me but want some other opinions about it.

Need suggestions about good restaurants and pubs. Some clubs ? nightly entertainment.

Better to use cash in London or Credit Cards?

Appreciate all the help.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London attractions and transportation

There are no 'must see' sights in London.

The beauty of London is the variety of what is on offer.

There is no point in traipsing around 'must see' sights as prescribed by tourist guides and travel writers if you have no natural interest in the underlying subject matter.

Your best option is to describe what kind of things interest you personally and I'm sure you'll get a host of tragetted replies that meet that interest.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,236 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London attractions and transportation

You might want to get hold of a good guide book on London to see what it has to offer, then you decide what you want to see and what interests you. One person's 'must-sees' are another person's 'must avoids'

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London attractions and transportation

tripadvisor has already ranked the attractions, based on member recommendations.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g186338-Activiti…

canada
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London attractions and transportation

Thanks for the replies.

I am interested in history / historical sites / places, a bit of art and generally what is specific for London / England. Don't want to visit attractions that can be found in other places of world.

London Pass includes many attractions and I wanted to hear other people's opinion if it is worth to buy one.

Thanks,

Herbert

Concord, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London attractions and transportation

for art you can go to the Tate museum,national portrait gallery,national gallery of art tate modern. history,well,pretty much everything around you is of some historical significance.

which era are you most interested in? you could start with the Museum of London and the British museum and also the Victoria and albert to whet your appetite.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London attractions and transportation

When considering what value the London Pass might offer, do bear in mind that the major museums and art galleries are free to enter.

USA
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London attractions and transportation

A number of attractions that are listed as free with the London Pass athttp://www.londonpass.com/london-attractions/index.html are free without the London Pass, the pass offers only an audio guide or perhaps a special exhibit in a free attractions. Imperial War Museum, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Royal Air Force Museum, Hunterian Museum, National Maritime Museum, and Southwark Cathedral are just such attractions. Do not buy an expensive London Pass to get a £3.50 audio guide to the free National Gallery. Their misleading presentation is enough to turn me off the London Pass.

The London Pass offers are also padded out with a number of attractions that cost about £5, not the most economical use for a London Pass. Chislehurst Caves, Fan Museum, Jewel Tower, London Canal Museum, The Monunent, Pollock's Toy Museum, Guards Museum, and Wellington Arch are cheap London Pass attractions.

For a first time visitor I would recommend the British Museum, Imperial War Museum, National Gallery, St. Paul's Cathedral*, Westminster Abbey*, Hampton Court Palace* or Windsor Castle*, the National Gallery, and the Tower of London*. (* London Pass attractions) String together the attractions you want to visit and see if they are cheaper with the London Pass. This link with its referenced spreadsheet should help you with price comparisons: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k42168…

And if the "I" that is visiting London is a "we", ask us about two for one offers.

8. Re: London attractions and transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 02:15