We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London taxi companies

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
London taxi companies

Hiya,

I'm travelling to London with my disabled mother for her 50th next week and she's worried about getting about. She can't manage on public transport and last time we had real difficulty with getting in and out of the hackney cabs. I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a decent private hire taxi company?

Thanks in advance. :)

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London taxi companies

Addison-Lee offer car and driver services in London as well as airport pick up and delivery, but they're not cheap. Where will you and your mother be based in London and where would you like to visit? I ask because there may be some car services that are more local to some areas than others.

Are buses a non-starter for your mother?

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London taxi companies

We're travelling into London by train to Kings Cross, staying at the Cavendish in Mayfair and going to see Chicago at the Cambridge theatre. That's all I've got booked, just going to wing it from there and see what other attractions I can get her to.

The train down shouldn't be too bad because we've booked the accessible wheelchair seat and there's someone to help us with a ramp to get her on and off. Busses are a no too, just don't think she could manage it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London taxi companies

Almost all buses in London are wheelchair accessible - you often have to board by the centre doors, which deploy a small ramp.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…1171.aspx

Edited: 30 April 2011, 22:33
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London taxi companies

What problems did she have with London Taxis ? If she can't get in and out of one of those I can't see how she could possibly manage with a car. All taxis have ramps and the chair should wheel straight in with your mother still sitting in it.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London taxi companies

Agree with Mr Cellophane, the black cabs are actually the most accessible. Nearly all (possibly all by now) of them now are disabled friendly with ramps fitted. Private hire cabs will have no such facility, they're just normal cars and I don't see how they can help.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London taxi companies

London black cabs have a step or ramp for easy access. Also, if you are coming with a wheelchair, then as already mentioned London buses are accessiblIf you call a minicab company and explain the problem I am sure they will send an adequate vehicle.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London taxi companies

She can get out of the wheelchair into a normal car with support, she's actually got her own car (fitted with hand controls - well neat!) but driving to London would be too much. The hackney cabs are too high for her to step into. I think it's mainly that she doesn't want to travel in the chair, doesn't feel secure. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London taxi companies

Have you tried London's red buses? There is dedicated space in the lower saloon of nearly all buses (with the exception of the Routemasters that have a few buses sharing routes 9 and 15) and in the small hoppa buses for wheelchairs and strollers. Even if there are pax with strollers wanting to use the space wheelchairs do have priority, and drivers do ask pax to move or to fold pushchairs.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London taxi companies

We've not tried them no, she hasn't been on a bus in decades! It sounds like the London ones might be better than the local ones though, will suggest it to her. Thank you. :)

London, England
Level Contributor
232 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London taxi companies

Speaking from my experience of caring for a wheelchair bound relative I would say London bus drivers are generally very good but there are still a few bad ones. As TravellerPlus mentions they "should", and I stress the word should, ask people with strollers to fold them away and make way for wheelchairs but there a few who won't and their usual response is "there's another bus behind this one, they might have room". All too often the mechanical ramp doesn't work either.