We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

I had to meet a friend coming in from Miami to Heathrow this morning.

Unfortunately, due to a mix up in the baggage reclaim it took over 1 hour 30 mins to return to the short stay car park. We were 5 minutes over the 90 mins band and the cost for that worked out at £8.00 for 95 minutes.

I do not know what the parking costs are for car parks in London, I guess a similarly high level, but I think the exorbitant costs of parking need to be investigated

Over to you Boris

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,359 Reviews
from US$130.80*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,129 Reviews
from US$139.50*
US$155.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$118.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$348.40*
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,960 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

Not a lot Boris can do about Steve. BAA are the people to complain to.

Easy to be wise after the event and this only works if you both have mobile phones but there are plenty of places tucked away on the edge of the airport within a five or ten minute drive of the pick up and drop off points where you can wait.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,750 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

BAA have had famously high airport car parking charges for years. If you own the land, you can charge what you like sadly. That's supply and demand in private enterprise.

Nowt to do with Boris, call me Dave, or any of the other usual targets.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

Yep, unless you are meeting for a coffee or something there isn't much point in paying short term charges just to meet someone as there are pick-up and put-down points. Hang out somewhere until the passenger texts you that they are in the baggage area is what I usually do. If using short stay don't do so for more than an hour. Personally I think an hour should be free at short stay, as it was for a few months whe T5 opened but it will never happen as huge income revenue.

I 've sat a couple of times while waiting for flights trying to figure out the likely

income from the on site car parks. When you combine long stay then look at short term, how many flights arrive (1 per minute) and how many cars arrive to meet each flight on average, average amont paid etc. It's quite staggering. I think I got to £1/4 million a day as a minimum questimate for on site parking income.

£100million a year??? Anyone know?

Stoofer

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

I would have thought that there is something that could be done actually.

All the on airport parking is run by a single company, so if the govt can force BAA to sell an airport, I cannot see why BAA cannot force NCP to sell a car park

Uxbridge, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

Not sure how much of it was from parking charges but BAA made £1.4 billion last year all told. It's not strictly true to say it's not for the Government to act... 4 years ago the Office of Fair Trading instructed the Competition Commission to investigate whether BAA’s market position was limiting competition in the UK aviation sector. It's heavy reading (linked below), but the short answer was, yes, it pretty much was limiting competition. Partly as a result of that report they were forced to sell off Gatwick in 2009.

…the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/…119.pdf

Did the Office of Fair Trading go far enough? That's one to be debated, I'd say no.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

>I cannot see why BAA cannot force NCP to sell a car park

But even if you force a company to sell a car park who is to say the new company will not charge just as much (maybe more).

I think the prices are based on the "captive market" syndrome.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

You are better off waiting on the outskirts for your arrival to call/text you once they are outside. E.g get a coffee in McDonalds on Bath Rd. I never park in short-term unless I absolutely have to.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

I must be alone in thinking that sort of price unsurprising. £4 an hour is about par for the course for London

Looking at BAA's website, it seems the marginal cost of tipping over the 1.5 hour mark was only £1.80. By parking in short stay, realistically you'll always be an hour or so and that costs £4.50. So you "only" incurred an additional £3.90 by the mix-up/delay. Which is annoying, I grant you, but it's hardly a bankbreaker, it's about the cost of 2 coffees or driving for about 10-15 miles, something most people wouldn't really think twice about

They certainly wouldn't expect Boris or whoever to do something about it

These parking charges are high, yes, but scandalous? Overegging it slightly

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

reply to #6

With Terminals 1,2,&3 - yes I agree it would pose a problem due to lack of space. What I would like see is for T4 and T5, additional Car Parks being built and run by other companies, introducing some competition

Edited: 02 May 2011, 14:34
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Scandalous Parking Charges at LHR

Indeed competition issues are the key to change but they were addressed and even with new competition/owners they would be free to charge even more, no guarantee that prices would fall, so?

I remember several pre-1997 debates even arguments on this forum, a contributor regularly complaining about BAA and arguing with regulars that Gatwick would have to be sold. ;-)

All is possible, but the prices unpredictable.

Stoofer

Edited: 02 May 2011, 15:25