We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best driving route??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
best driving route??

A question to all the experts please...we are hiring a car frEuropCar

Finchley Downtown

979 High Road, Silverstone

Silverstone Garage

and are heading to Fowey in Cornwall for the night., starting out on a wednesday morn around 8.30am late June .1/ .is there a route to avoid Congestion tax and 2/ which is the best road map to buy(we are touring around Cornwall and Lyme Regis) for 6 days... no sat nav to be used!! many thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best driving route??

Have a look at the route planning pages at www.theaa.com and www.rac.co.uk The Highway Code is available from larger bookshops, but if you don't want to buy it have a good look at the offerings here: direct.gov.uk/en/…index.htm

www.a-zmaps.co.uk/index.aspx… and www.stanfords.co.uk for maps aplenty. If you have a few days in London before setting out for the southwest then have a look at Stanfords' shop in Long Acre which really does have a superb selection of maps and atlases.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best driving route??

wow...such a quick reply thanks so much....knew I could rely on T/A experts!!

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best driving route??

I would take either two routes:

1. Head north on the A1000 through Barnet, and head for signs to the M25 (junction 23). Then take the M25 westbound until M3, then A303 to Cornwall

2. Head south on the A1000 until you reach the North Circular A406, westbound. Follow the A406 all the way until you reach the A40, which then joins the M40, and M25. Proceed as above.

If you indeed pick your car up at 8.30am, I would go for option 1 as the North Circular would still be very busy at this time. If you pick it up later, then the North Circular would be a good bet.

Use google maps on your smartphone (if you have one) for maps, they are more detailed than what you would buy in paper form, especially in remoter areas like Fowey and Lime Regis.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best driving route??

Wouldn't it have been better to collect somewhere to the west of London. As it stands you have a nasty trek round the north of London which will inevitably put you in some very heavy traffic and add at least an hour to your driving time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best driving route??

Probably would have been better but this is where UK family organised the pick up!!! so we roll with it!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,486 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best driving route??

For an out of towner. Sometimes the longest way round is the shortest way home. Take the A1000 south to the north circular. Then west to J2 M1 north, to M25 J21 west. Stay on M25 to J12 exit M3 Basingstoke. You are on your way.

Delays perhaps, congestion charge no.

Safe journey.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best driving route??

Excellent.......thanks everyone ...if you see on the news a small car going round and round on 1 of the M's or A's ...it will be me!!!

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best driving route??

It's a long drive to Cornwall, and I much prefer the motorway route via M4 and M5 instead of M3 and A303. The A303 is down to a one-lane-in-each-direction single carriageway in parts, and the brief glimpse of Stonehenge doesn't really provide enough compensation.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,486 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best driving route??

RRFC is quite correct, the M4/M5 option would be quicker.

If you choose this route, exit the M25 at J15 west signed Cardiff.

London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best driving route??

I have rellies down in Devon, so often head down to the West country. It's always a cause of some debate which is the best route - I like the M3/A303 myself, but it does get a bit tedious once you get on the A30 past Honiton. My father, who has an pathological fear of any kind of traffic jam, prefers the M4/M5.

I think if you are going all the way to Fowey (which is all A roads after Exeter), it is probably quicker and less stressfull if you go the M4/M5 route.