We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

OhioMac54
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

We are a family group of seven, staying in London for four nights in August. While it is a plus that the Kensington location has AC and is in a nice area with a laundromat and a choice of restaurants, we are tempted by the reviews on TA covering the County Hall location.

I can't find anything that describes the neighborhood around County Hall though. Is there a laundromat in the area? Are there pubs and restaurants close by (i.e. within a few minutes walk)? Are there any parks close by where I could take an active 8-year-old to play catch or kick a soccer ball around?

One other question concerning the Premier Inns in general. Each location shows the same pictures of rooms. Are the rooms at the Kensington and County Hall locations truly identical?

Thanks everyone.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,186 Reviews
London, UK
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

Look at the photos posted by reviewers to get an idea of what the rooms look like.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d210361…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d286746…

Niskayuna, New York
Level Contributor
491 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

I chose the Kensington Premier Inn for my family of 4 in August. I'm very happy with my decision - Kensington one seems more modern/nicer based on the pics than County Hall. Plus, they had better prices, and is in a better location for me.

Be aware that the County Hall one is built in an OLD building that wasn't designed to be a hotel, so it could be a little different than a typical cookie-cutter chain hotel.

Generally, chain hotels have nearly identical rooms, at least in the US.

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,186 Reviews
London, UK
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

Thc County Hall is right on the river next to the London Eye, so you would be right where a lot of the main sights are, you have all the restaurants along the South Bank and via the Golden Jubilee footbridges you are walking distance to the West End. There is a patch of grass near the London Eye called Jubilee Gardens, not really a park though.

Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
South Bank
South Bank
1,481 Reviews
London, UK
Jubilee Hotel
Jubilee Hotel
332 Reviews
London, UK
Jubilee Gardens
Jubilee Gardens
89 Reviews
London, UK
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

The County Hall is located in an historic building right on the Thames opposite the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, within walking distance of Trafalgar square and Buckingham Palace. The Kensington (assume you mean Knaresborough place) is located in a converted 1960's office block near a noisy railway line. I know which one I'd choose :-)

There's nothing wrong with the Kensington per se, but the County Hall is much nicer.

Edited: 08 May 2011, 16:24
Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
The Thames
The Thames
199 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,230 Reviews
London, UK
Trafalgar Square
Trafalgar Square
7,094 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,188 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,186 Reviews
London, UK
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

County Hall is located in older building but the inside is very modern -- it looks very similar to every PI in London. All PI rooms in all the London locations are pretty much alike as well. You need to decide which location is better for you, the hotel itself is irrelevent. There are pubs and restaurants within walking distance of the County hall location and it's in a very nice area. Not sure about laundromats, though (I would not even think of doing laundry on vacation!!!)

Edited: 08 May 2011, 16:48
Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

Oh forgot to say that the reason the Kensington branch is cheaper than County Hall is because the area is considered much less desirable. It's a not a "bad" area at all but as far as attractions/ scenery go, County Hall is WAY nicer. That being said, we will be staying in their Euston location this fall, simply because it was much cheaper and we are looking to save a bit of money this trip as we tacked on an extra day.

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,186 Reviews
London, UK
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

Resaturants, pubs etc - oodles within walking distance of the County Hall PI.

IIRC, there's a laundrette on The Cut, the other side of Waterloo from County Hall.

Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
Waterloo Bar and Kitchen
582 Reviews
London, UK
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

Have just looked on Google maps for laundromats for you, I couldn't find any VERY close to County Hall, so if that is important to you perhaps the Kensington PI would fit your needs better.

Edited: 08 May 2011, 16:58
Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,186 Reviews
London, UK
Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,030 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

Well there you go, GreenwichNick is much better that Google Maps for laundry info :-)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,235 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Premier Inn Kensington vs. Premier Inn County Hall

The rooms at PI's will be much of a muchness as you'd expect of a 'budget' chain. As others have said the County Hall location is smack in the centre of things - the Eye, Houses of Parliament/Westminster Abbey a short walk across Westminster Bridge, the South Bank with a lot of family friendly chains - Girafffe, Strada, Wagamama, Pizza Express plus some more upmarket foodi e spots - Skylon, Canteen in the vicinity. I'd expect the rate to be more than the Kensington property and it might be worth checking rates at the Park Plazas next door - County Hall or Westminster Bridge which may not be significantly more(both PP's have aircon).

There is a laundrette in Lower Marsh about a 5 minute walk from the hotel (past the Park Plaza County Hall, under the bridge along Westminster Bridge Road, turn left. There are also some cheap cafes and a few pubs which serve quite good food, the estimable Cubana bar if you have older kids/anyone looking for a (late) night out and an excellent food stall selling Thai curries (lunch times only though).

Mentioned in this post
County Hall, London
County Hall, London
83 Reviews
London, UK
Houses of Parliament
Houses of Parliament
14,343 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
19,042 Reviews