We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Amsterdam

South Africa
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Topic
London to Amsterdam

What is the cheapest way to get from London to Amsterdam and back in late June. We like train travel but the Euroster is very pricey.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,229 reviews
from US$140.27*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,955 reviews
from US$144.39*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
512 reviews
from US$97.64*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
812 reviews
from US$97.64*
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
819 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Amsterdam

Cheapest but very uncomfortable would probably be a Eurolines coach - www.eurolines.co.uk

There are cheap flights - use www.skyscanner.net to check

You're probably a bit late now for the cheap deals on Eurostar - check www.eurostar.com

There is also the Dutch Flyer train and ferry - look at http://seat61.com/Netherlands.htm#train+ferry

London
Level Contributor
100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Amsterdam

I wouldn't say that Eurolines was any more uncomfortable than any other coach journey, but it is a 12 hour trip from Victoria to Amsterdam!

Easyjet do relatively cheap flights to Amsterdam Schiphol airport, and start around £28 each way. However, if you factor in the cost of getting to an airport (eg London Luton, around £7) and from Schiphol to Amsterdam Central (another few Euros), you may end up paying around £40 each way.

This is not hugely different from the cost of taking the Eurostar from St Pancras, and changing at Brussels, to Amsterdam. Cost is around £45 each way, and takes 5 hours.

South Africa
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Amsterdam

Would love to take the Eurostar but can't find the 45GBP price. Which website should I use?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
819 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Amsterdam

The cheapest site for booking Eurostar is www.eurostar.com

It may be (depending on when you are going), that the cheaper tickets are sold out and only the more expensive ones are left.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,512 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Amsterdam

I took the Eurolines coach to Amsterdam once and although long it was not that uncomfortable (and it's not quite as long as it seems from the timetable as you jump an hour when going). You are not on the coach all the time as the ferry crossing takes up a couple of hours and this can be quite pleasant as there are bars and restaurants and you can walk the decks and see the White Cliffs of Dover. On one level it's more hassle-free and relaxing than flying as your luggage goes in the coach when you start off in central London and retreive it when you get to Amsterdam. If you look at it as a day out it need not be a chore. Although it takes all day, you don't have to get up at an ungodly hour and you're in Amsterdam in time for a night out. When you add together getting to and from airports at either end, plus waiting around for your flight, the difference in time is not as huge as it first appears.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Amsterdam

There is no direct train to Amsterdam yet and the journey can still be over 6 hours so I would say fly. Not discounting the train if you like train travel as it is a good option.

You have the choice of multiple airlines and airports so chose the one closest nd most convenient to where your starting point is and go from there. Easyjet have fares in June from £36 (pplus costs) but BA fly from LGW from £48 all in.

Whatever you do avoid the 12 hour Eurolines journey. Friend of mine did this and said it was hell, never again.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,512 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Amsterdam

The 8.30 Eurolines coach from London gets into Amsterdam at 20.00 (Dutch time), which means an actual journey time of 10.5 hours as Amsterdam is an hour ahead of London.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,491 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Amsterdam

The Eurolines coach goes through the channel tunnel on the Eurotunnel train and not on the ferry as I found out a few years ago!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Amsterdam

10 1/2 hours on a coach, what joy!! And the fare is not even that cheap at £29 one way

Edited: 10 May 2011, 12:39
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Amsterdam

When i did the overnight Eurolines a few years ago we went out on the ferry and returned on the train (or vice versa - i can't really remember). Is very long unsettled journey for those not used to extended coach travel but personally it doesn't bother me.

For the OP is would probably suggest flying. BA from LGW sounds like a good deal. They've not said how long they'll be in Amsterdam so if luggage may be an issue then most definitely BA.