We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen's Birthday 11 June

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Queen's Birthday 11 June

We posted a few days ago about Queen's Birthday but didn't have any response. Perhaps we didn't phrase our questions very clearly. Now we make another effort to be a little more concise, and hope that we can get some advice from somebody. Thanks in advance!

1. we suppose there is still Changing the Guard on the day, in addition to the Trooping of the Color. What things we should note as to the best time and position to have the best view of both events. We hear the best base is the Mall??

2. we are going to see a couple of sights around the Buckingham Palace area (e.g. House of Parliament) on the Birthday and can anybody confirm that the day is a normal day, that we can still keep this touring schedule?

We have planned our trip to London in a way that we can be there on Queen's Birthday, and we are certainly excited that we can see as much as possible the pageantry. Any of your tips and hints for the day is most appreciated. Much thanks!

happyface16

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

This is "off the cuff". I doubt there will be a changing of the guard on the same day as Trooping the Colour.

You should make your way to The Mall very early, as The Queen will ride down the Mall to the Trooping parade and back. She and the Royal Family should also make an appearance on the balcony of Buckingham Palace after the parade.

There will also be a number of 41(?) gin salutes across London.

Although June 11 is the Queen's official birthday (not her real one which is April 21st), June 10 is the actual birthday of Prince Philip, and this year he turns 90!

So there will also be 41(?) gun salutes at Hyde Park and the Tower of London that day too. And I'm sure the Trooping will have an added celebration too. A good year to go! :)

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

"There will also be a number of 41(?) gin salutes across London"

Love it!!! I know the Queen Mother used to like her gin, but I wasn't aware this had become a traditional custom. I MUSTN'T MISS THIS! :-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

Yup, saw what I'd written (on the iPhone) and decided not to edit. :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

Hi Happyface!

I will also be in London for the Trooping of the Colour, I'm quite excited.

I've been advised to be on The Mall by 9am to queue to to get a good spot.

The RAF Flypast from what I've been told is at 1pm and that's when the Royals will appear on the balcony.

For the Duke's birthday... there is 41-Gun Royal Salute in Hyde Park at noon and 62-Gun Royal Salute by the Honourable Artillery Company at Gun Wharf, Tower of London at 1:00pm.

Hope that helps!

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

I usually turn up about 11 as I'm not interested in standing around on the Mall kicking my heels being bored while the actual ceremony is on and nothing is happening where I am. I like to be there in time to catch them all coming back to the palace and I usually get a good place at the palace end.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

I just didn't want to risk not being able to get a good spot infront of the palace to see the end of the parade and then a good picture of them all on the balcony.

I'll have a friend with me that day so at least I'll have someone to chat with. Maybe we'll have a travel mug of Dubonnet to toast the Queen, I hear it's one of her favorites.. hahaha...

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

They are all 21 gun salutes, with extra rounds added because of location and occasion.

royal.gov.uk/RoyalEventsandCeremonies/GunSal…

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

You can't get any spot in front of the palace until well after the Queen and her entourage have entered the palace after the ceremony is finished. Then everybody will be slowly allowed further and further down the Mall before finally sprinting for a good spot in front of the gates. So you can only get so far in terms of nearness to the palace, but you'll have to wait with everyone else to be allowed down to the gates.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

I ran into the festivities by accident last year. I was able to cross over from Buckingham Palace Road (coming from Victoria) about half an hour before the Queen left and while the regiments were getting into order. I was probably 3 or 4 deep maybe 50 yards down the Mall but still had a good view of the carriages. The route was guarded not only by police but soldiers as well--it was interesting to see the soldiers in their impressive traditional dress uniforms, all armed with very modern, very serious rifles!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Queen's Birthday 11 June

Thanks everyone of you for your helpful tips. Um most most appreciated!

Let us work out a sort of plan as what we should do for the day. We do look forward to seeing London and this pageantry!

Wish everyone of you have a wonderful weekend!

happyface16