We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near heathrow

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
hotel near heathrow

In September, we have a overnight layover flying out of Heathrow. We arrive in London at 7 pm, and leave at 10:50 the next morning. We plan to stay at one of the nearby airport hotels. We would like to stay at one that could be a short cab or tube ride to a pub or restaurant. I doubt we will have enough time to go in to London, but I would at least like to go somewhere other than the hotel for a bite to eat. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel near heathrow

With four terminals at Heathrow airport, a hotel that's well situated for T4 isn't handy at all for T5, so please do let us know the airlines with which you'll fly or the terminals you'll use for arrival and departure.

As well, will your stay be on a week night or at the weekend? Do you need a hotel room for two or for more than two; if travelling with the family what ages are the children? Please and thank you.

virgina
Level Contributor
174 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel near heathrow

We will be coming in from Rome on a Tuesday, on British Air. Unfortunately, my reservations don't say which terminal. It will be just my husband and me.

Thank you very much!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel near heathrow

BA flights from Rome will arrive at T5. If you're flying with BA from LHR to IAD (and I suspect you are with the departure time of 1050) then that flight too will depart from T5.

There is a Sofitel adjacent to the terminal building that would be ideal for your needs; you may be able to book a good rate now for a stay in September. The only other hotel very near the terminal building is a Travelodge just across the M25. It's a more modest property than the Sofitel and is reached by either taxi or Heathrow Hoppa (£4.50 per person each way, but I suspect a taxi would be a bit cheaper).

If the Sofitel doesn't suit then consider booking a hotel in Windsor. You'll have to take a cab there and back again but you might enjoy a brief look around the town, and will have more options for restos and pubs.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel near heathrow

For medium range you could try the Marriott on Bath Rd. It's about 15 minutes from T5. Alternatively, and just a smidgen lower level is the Premier Inn on Bath Rd. About 2 minutes further by cab. The PI has a pub type restaurant as well as a more formal restaurant and coffee lounge (Costa).

From either of these you could walk to Cranford in between 5 and 15 minutes where there are some take aways including a fish and chip shop. Or there is a Chinese resto in the airport direction (also on the Bath Rd) called London Hong Kong. Prices are mid range and NOT take away prices.

The Travelodge at T5 is close but very basic and I haven't been impressed by the service either.. It's also at the back of an industrial estate so you'd need to book a cab for sure.

A short cab ride away (ten minutes) from the PI will get you to Hounslow West where there are many Indian resto's and one or two good ones. Go for 20-25 minutes and you can get a cab to Chiswick where there are many more European resto's.

And as mentioned already by TP, Windsor is about the same distance.

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel near heathrow

By the time you have cleared customs, picked up your bags and got to your hotel, it could be around 8.30 PM, so you may not feel like travelling too far after that.

The Sofitel and Travelodge hotels as mentioned above are convenient for T5, but not much else.

I'd also suggest the Marriott on the Bath Road, you can get there easily enough by the H53 Hoppa bus from T5. Once there, it is walking distance to one of the better pubs in the Heathrow area, The Pheasant. It has a steak house restaurant at he back, but the bar meals are also very good.

http://www.pheasant-restaurant.co.uk/

Edited: 25 May 2011, 09:28
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel near heathrow

<<The Sofitel and Travelodge hotels as mentioned above are convenient for T5, but not much else. >

There are a couple of restaurants landside at T5 which are OK (one is a pub/restaurant I forget the name). I've eaten in that before when staying at the Sofitel, its perfectly acceptable,and the other one, more of an Italian, had an OK menu but I havent eaten in that, maybe will do next time.

IMO is not worth the time/money cabbing it elsewhere for a possibly slightly better meal.

UK
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel near heathrow

I quite like Skyline hotel not had trouble in airport transfer.

Hotels in Windsor thanks but no thanks hospitality desert well last month anyway

regmaiche

[April 2011}

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel near heathrow

If you do decide to stay at the Sofitel (and it is directly adjacent to T5, walk from the terminal), there are a couple of other decent local pubs which you could consider. The hotel should be able to rustle up a local mini-cab for you, which should cost no more than a few pounds.

The Ostrich is an old coaching In in Colnbrook village, on the old Bath Road (the new modern road by passes the village).

http://www.theostrichcolnbrook.co.uk/

Likewise the White Horse is also on the old Bath Road, tucked away in Longford village;

http://oldenglishpub.com/default.aspx

9. Re: hotel near heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 07:16