We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London 4 Day Itinerary

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London 4 Day Itinerary

Hi. I'm 13 and going to London for the first time with my mum, dad, brother and sister (11 &7). I'm in charge of making the itinerary which my parents will review before we go. We will arrive on a Friday evening and leave on a Wednesday morning which leaves us with only 4 days to explore the city. We will be staying in South Kensington. We want to pack as much as we can into the trip, but my seven year old sister doesn't have enough stamina to spend the whole day walking around the city. Everyone in my family has difren ideas to what they'd like to do i London:

My mum used to live there so she hs seen most things. She would particularly like to go back to the Covent Garden Market.

My dad likes museums and long walks.

My brother likes museums and wants to see the London Eye.

My sister just wants to go on a plane (she has never travelled abroad before) but I think we should bring her to the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Playground in the Kensington Gardens, and Hamleys.

I would like to go shopping (especially abercrombie & fitch), see Madame Tussauds and possibly see a show in the West End.

These are the places we were thinking of including in the itinerary:

The Science Museum

The Natural History Museum

National Gallery

Madame Tussauds

The London Eye

Hop on Hop off Bus Tour

The Tower of London

Soho

Chinatown

Covent Garden Market

Hamleys

Pollock's Toy Museum

Kensington Gardens

Camden Market

British Music Experience

Kensington High Street

Apple Store

Oxford Sreet

Other good shopping streets

Which of these are worth going to?

Does anyone have any idea of a rough itinerary?

Thanks in Advance

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Bump (as this was on page 3 already).

Edited: 01 June 2011, 21:42
Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

What does "bump" mean and where can I find the original post? Do you mean the current 3rd page of what is the England forum?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

mommy-barbie- this is the original post. To bump is just to bring the post back to the top if it has slipped down the list- to draw attention to a question that has been overlooked.

Claudia- excellent and clear post- your parents must be pleased to have you in charge. Do you know which area you are staying in? This would help people suggest how to organise yourselves.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,617 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Typing bump is one way of getting a thread back to the top of page one so the maximum number of people will see it and respond. On busy days a thread can easily slip to page three or four and thence to oblivion.

Now Claudia, it's nearly past my bedtime (and possibly yours unless it's also half term in Ireland!) so I'm not going to have the time to help you now but I'm sure others will be along to help.

In the meantime you should have a look through the forums for topics relating to families. There will be some old threads that will prove helpful. And if you haven't already, get mum and dad to invest in a guide book and map.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Bringing the post to the top of the forum (to bring attention to it).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_%28Internet%29

I meant the London forum, and this is the original thread.

Found another thread also by Claudia:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k45245…

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Very cool planning Claudia - your family will be blown away by the trip you have put together. I've never been to London before, but I've heard from others here on TA that Windsor is a must see (and it might be easier to see the changing of the guard there than it would be at Buckingham Palace - at Windsor the time is 11 am - but not on Sundays).

I've also heard that the Tower is a must do - try to see the crown jewels too while there and arrive early in the morning. If you check online (I am not sure where though) I think there is a website that shows the times for the raising of the London Bridge - now wouldn't it be cool to see that??

Good luck with your trip - I wish I could help more but I have never been to London.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Hi Claudia!

I'm afraid I'm not a Londoner myself, but looking at your wishes maybe I can be of some help until the real londoners take over :)

A hop on/hop off bus tour might be good for your first day, as you can get your bearings. I read good things about the cruise and walking tours that come with it, though I've yet to do it myself, so this is just hearsay.

The Science Museum and the National History Museum are next to each other(hope you spot the monkey's in the ceiling at NHM) are close to Kensington Gardens. Besides the playground you might also want to check out the Peter Pan statue and the Elfin Oak www.thehanginggarden.net/musings/theelfinoak/ which I first heard of through TALF! :) Maybe you can start at NHM, go to Science Museum, then Kensington Gardens and after that Kensington High Street? I once had lunch at the Science Museum which I thoroughly enjoyed but I don't know wether it's still good. Alternatively I've also read many times that you can purchase some food and then have a picknick in the park.

I also noticed you wanted to do the Tower of London, everyone seems to advice that it's best done first thing in the morning, and then head straight to the crown jewels. After that make sure to join a Beefeater Tour, that was the highlight of my visit.

As for the other bits try and find a good map and see which things are in the same area, and try to do them in the same day. Re the shopping, I've heard good things about Westfield Shopping centre. As for Oxford Street you(and esp. your little sister) might like to know that Disney opened the biggest Disney Store in europe there last week....

Good luck with the itinary and have a lovely visit!

PS I don't know when you'll be going but there is an outdoor butterfly house in the National History Museum till September 11 nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/…index.html

Level Contributor
9 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Hi there

Wow, you want to do a lot in 4 days!

I'd suggest grouping things together so you don't have to spend lots of time on a Tube or walking around to save your little sister's legs!

So maybe...

Day 1:

If you're staying in South Ken, you can probably walk easily to the Science Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Natural History Museum - which is good for kids of all ages! - and spend your day there easily. There are lots of nice chain restaurants round there, too, Eg: Carluccios, Pizza Express, Cafe Rouge, which should cater for all tastes...

Day 2: I'd head to Leicester Square and buy some cheap theatre tickets for your show - the booth is opposite the Odeon and lines will be shorter on a Sunday. Tickets will be cheaper for Mon or Tue night as well.

If you get Oyster cards at your nearest tube station (probably South Kensington) you can load them up with a day's worth of tube journeys, which will also save you cash!

After Leicester Square, I'd suggest a little walk up to Covent Garden for your mum, and maybe a visit to the London Transport Museum, which is great. Have lunch in Covent Garden (lots of nice places to eat - I like La Tasca, which is a fun tapas restaurant, or there's a TGI Friday there too, also good for families).

Then you can stroll fairly easily to Soho through Seven Dials, which is good for shopping. It's not too far and there are lots of places to stop for a rest - Soho Sq and Golden Sq are nice places to sit or grab a coffee / soft drink if you're feeling tired.

This will bring you out onto Regent St, home of Abercrombie & Fitch! And Hamleys, of course.

Piccadilly Circus is just down Regent St, so you can find dinner there, as well.

Day 3:

Go to Oxford Street in the week - it'll be less crowded and easier to walk round. Get the Tube to Oxford Circus and walk towards Marble Arch / Bond Street - all the best shops are that way. St Christophers Place opposite Bond St Tube is a good spot for lunch. The giant Primark is opposite Marble Arch tube and you shouldn't miss that!

Then hop on a No2 bus, which you can catch opposite Marble Arch Tube too. Your Oyster will work on the bus... Travel down Park Lane and get off at the huge roundabout at the bottom of Park Lane. You can then walk through Green Park to Buckingham Palace. Of course, reverse the day if you want to see the Changing of the Guard! (Which is slightly overrated in my opinion, I prefer seeing the Lifeguards at Horseguards Parade, but that's just me).

You can then walk up the Mall to Trafalgar Square - this close to most West End theatres... Or get a Tube from Green Park to catch your show.

Day 4:

I'd catch the Tube to Tower Hill to see the Tower of London - get there early to beat the queues! Then you can catch a boat down the Thames to Greenwich from Tower Pier - your Oyster will give you a discount on the tickets - which is good shopping and a nice place to see. Or go on to the O2 for the BME! Or take the boat upriver to the London Eye and the Aquarium.

I hope that helps! I've not covered everything you all wanted to do but I think your sister would be pretty tired if you did it all.

Enjoy your trip!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Have a look at www.visitlondon.com there are some suggestions for family itineraries. Definitely look at a map and try to group attractions.

Another thing you could consider instead of the hop on hop off bus is a duck tour. It is not hop on hop off but it does go passed major sights, is shorter duration than the hoho and is generally fun for kids. It departs near the London Eye so you could co-ordinate the 2.

I think you will need to decide which of the attractions that take some time, that you really want to visit and prioritise those. I haven't been to Madam Tussads but have heard it is really crowded so get there early. We visited the Tower of London late in the day in July some years ago and walked straight in with no queuing. Admittedly though we did run out of time to see everything there.

Sorry I can't be more help. Am trying to cram too much into my own itinerary and am a bit of a rush around tick a box kind of traveller. The previous post had some good suggestions.

Level Contributor
9 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London 4 Day Itinerary

Madame Tussauds is a funny one - I work on Baker Street just next to it and it always seems to have a queue outside it!

Early is probably better. So you would catch a Tube to Baker Street to visit it. Then you could cross Marylebone Road to walk down Baker Street for lunch. Catch a No2 bus from Baker Street to Oxford Street and spend the afternoon shopping there - Baker St is only 5 mins by bus from Oxford Street, and the No2 stops right outside Selfridges, so it's easy to see where to get off!